News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

New acquisitions : 2 Quid commemoratives

Started by Bimat, July 12, 2009, 08:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Bought these two very nice 2 Quid commemoratives yesterday.
Both coins have a diameter of 28.35mm and weight of 12grams.

This is KM# 999,Rugby World Cup 1999
Edge Letterings : Rugby World Cup 1999

The obverse design is boring,so I'm not posting its scan ;D

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

And this is KM# 1049
Edge Lettering: 2004 R. TREVITHICK 1804 INVENTION-INDUSTRY-PROGRESS

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

translateltd

Am I the only one to see a similarity between the RWC symbol on the 1999 2-pound coin and the symbol adopted for the centenary of Esperanto in 1987?

Figleaf

Mmm. I took it for a rugby ball passing under a bridge >:D, but you have a point. What's your interpretation? Shameless theft by an uninspired designer or a an esperantist sneaking it in?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

translateltd

Quote from: Figleaf on July 12, 2009, 11:37:50 AM
Mmm. I took it for a rugby ball passing under a bridge >:D, but you have a point. What's your interpretation? Shameless theft by an uninspired designer or a an esperantist sneaking it in?

Had it been 1987 or some other significant anniversary I might have gone for the latter :-)  Probably just one of life's little coincidences, though it's not a particularly good representation of a rugby ball to me ...

tonyclayton

Quote from: Figleaf on July 12, 2009, 11:37:50 AM

Peter

Rugby ball between Rugby goalposts, including the padding.

Bimat

Varieties exist in KM# 999 (Rugby World Cup),the catalog says.What kind of varieties does it mean?

BC Numismatics

Aditya,
  The main varieties for the 1999 Rugby World Cup commemorative 2 Quid coin is the position of the edge inscription in relation to the reverse - Position A - upright in relation to the reverse,& Position B - upside down in relation to the reverse.

This is true for all the 2 Pounds coins that are inscribed on the edge,including the 1986 British Commonwealth Games one.The 1989 Bill of Rights & Claim of Right 2 Pounds are not inscribed on the edge at all.

Aidan.

chrisild

Quote from: BC Numismatics on July 13, 2009, 07:19:27 AM
The main varieties for the 1999 Rugby World Cup commemorative 2 Quid coin is the position of the edge inscription in relation to the reverse - Position A - upright in relation to the reverse,& Position B - upside down in relation to the reverse.

Without knowing what such "varieties" could actually be, I doubt they have anything to do with the position of the edge lettering. Since that is random, wouldn't almost every coin in the world that has such an inscription be listed with such a "varieties exist" comment?

Christian

tonyclayton

Quote from: chrisild on July 13, 2009, 11:20:09 AM
Without knowing what such "varieties" could actually be, I doubt they have anything to do with the position of the edge lettering. Since that is random, wouldn't almost every coin in the world that has such an inscription be listed with such a "varieties exist" comment?

Christian

Only for those coins struck in a plain or reeded collar with the lettering added in advance.

For those coins struck in a segmented collar, it would be most unusual to have an inverted variety.  This method is used for proud inscriptions