Author Topic: China: New Coins Commemorate Sun Yat-sen  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
China: New Coins Commemorate Sun Yat-sen
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
China to issue commemorative coins marking Sun Yat-sen's birthday

Source:Xinhua
Published: 2016/10/25 21:03:16

China's central bank will issue a set of three commemorative coins marking the 150th birthday of Sun Yat-sen, forerunner of China's anti-feudalism revolution.

Chinese citizens began reserving the coins online early Tuesday morning, while others queued outside banks in Chinese cities to make reservations.

The coins, to be released Nov. 5, will feature Sun Yat-sen's image, with each set including a gold coin worth 100 yuan (14.8 US dollars), a silver one worth 10 yuan and another one, made of copper alloy, worth 5 yuan, according to the People's Bank of China.

The bank will issue a total of 300 million copper-alloy coins, which can circulate as normal Chinese currency. It will be the first time for Chinese currency with Sun Yat-sen's image to circulate in the market.

Born in 1866 in Zhongshan in south China's Guangdong Province, Sun Yat-sen was the founder of the Kuomintang Party.

Source: Global Times
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: China: New Coins Commemorate Sun Yat-sen
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »
It may seem strange for the communist party to celebrate the hero of the Kuomintang party on a pseudo coin, but there are reasons.

I am not sure if it is still illegal for Chinese subjects to hold gold, but even if this has changed, the medals are aimed at a foreign market: overseas Chinese. Sun Yat-Sen is claimed both by China and Taiwan. China has its own Kuomintang party. It is even represented in the Chinese parliament, though it may not deviate from the communist party line, of course. The medals are to recall this claim to overseas Chinese, implicitly contesting the Taiwanese claim.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:49:05 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:37:59 AM »
Sun Yat-sen 150 years' birthday, 2016, China
¥5
Tong Bao_Tsuho_Tong Bo_Thong Bao

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:48:23 AM »
¥10

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 03:50:26 AM »
100 yuan, it's the emblem of the other side

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
China: New Coins Commemorate Sun Yat-sen
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »
Thanks for posting the images! Not too bad I think. I especially like the reverse of ¥5 and ¥10!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline SquareEarth

• cn jp kr vn
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »
It may seem strange for the communist party to celebrate the hero of the Kuomintang party on a pseudo coin, but there are reasons.

I am not sure if it is still illegal for Chinese subjects to hold gold, but even is this has changed, the medals are aimed at a foreign market: overseas Chinese. Sun Yat-Sen is claimed both by China and Taiwan. China has its own Kuomintang party. It is even represented in the Chinese parliament, though it may not deviate from the communist party line, of course. The medals are to recall this claim to overseas Chinese, implicitly contesting the Taiwanese claim.

Peter

Sun Yat Sen in Chinese communist historiography is like Jesus in Islam, he is indispensable.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
Personally, I like him better as a human than as a deity. I acknowledge his good will and his efforts, I admire his tenacity and his unifying vision, but in all honesty, he failed. China has fallen apart.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.