Sultans of Gujarat, Muzaffir shah-I, AE 1/2 Falus

Started by drnsreedhar, October 23, 2016, 09:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drnsreedhar

Adding a sample of G4, G&G.
Dr.Sreedhar

THCoins

Just bought another cheap coin over the internet for which i would gladly have an opinion from the experts here.

Edit: I initially added this to the Khayumarth coin post because of the similarity.
   After the expert identification by drnsreedhar i merged it to this topic

I noticed this coin because in the center of the obverse it clearly seems to read "Shams". This side very much resembles the Khayumarth coin.
The reverse looks terrible, but i think i see Nagari text. That makes a combination unknown to me.
It does also not fit with the issues of Shams-ud-din Iltumish, which would be the other most likely candidate.

I do not have the coin in hand yet so can't give the size. Weight is given as 4.5 grams. This are the sellers pics.
Would gladly hear your opinions on attribution ?

drnsreedhar

@THCoins: You are absolutely right about the "Shams" part. The other side seems to be upside down. I feel that it reads "Muzaffir shah Sultan" as in the rare Half falus coin of Muzaffir shah-I of Gujarat, G4 of G&G. The last part of "ta" of "sultan" seems to be off-flan.
Dr.Sreedhar

THCoins

Thank you Sir ! I had considered several Shams's, but not this one. Looking in Goron and Goenka i would say you are spot on. I gather the coins from Gujarat from this period have a lot common in style with the Delhi issues.

I only now see in the index that you recently posted one ! I missed that somehow. If you don't mind i can add these last posts here to your other thread to get both together.

drnsreedhar

Thank you THCoins. Absolutely no issue to shift the last posts as you wish.
Dr.Sreedhar

THCoins

Done, put the to specimen together in one thread !

Anthony

capnbirdseye

Great coins from a rare ruler regardless of condition, just went to add it to the database to find I already did but forgot the lamp symbol !
Vic

THCoins

Vic, i think you are already doing a great job with the indexes ! (And once in a while i will kick up an older post so we can keep checking and perfecting the index further !  ;))