Author Topic: CAST FAKE...BEWARE: Akbar, Silver Rupee, Lahore, Khurdad, Ilahi 45, KM 93.11  (Read 658 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
CAST FAKE........BEWARE

Akbar, Silver Rupee, Lahore, 9.48g 19mm, Khurdad, Ilahi 45, KM 93.11

This coin was in a recent concluded Auction in India. Thanks to Jan (Oesho) who identified it as a cast fake. I think both the under-weight @9.48g and the appearance of the coin marked it as fake, though the calligraphy appears good.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Saikat

• Meritorious Member
    • My blog page on coins
Wow! I just checked the high resolution image at the auction site. Apart from the underweight, a novice like me can not differentiate with the original coin. Probably  the only indication is a few pin prick marks on the mostly smooth surface. I feel once the coin is cast (really can not yet believe), it must be polished to smooth out the cast bubbles.
Thanks,
Saikat
------------------------------------
Started a blog at https://saikatscoins.blogspot.com/

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Yes, the coin is good and liable to pass as 'authentic' in the eyes of many however under-weight Mughal Rupee's in general should be viewed with skepticism. Further, this coin appears 'soapy', in the words of Shailen Bhandare, that is further give-away of it being produced in a cast mold.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Not sure what "soapy" means, but if it means unsharp, I disagree, although unsharp designs are a giveaway for cast coins: the moulds were made by pressing a genuine coin into clay or a similar substance. A skilled artist can adjust this later, but characters will still be a fraction wider than normal. Also, wear will have the same effect of making the characters look unsharp.

On this fake, there are quite a few small holes in the characters. This can be the result of cleaning: when the pollutant is removed, it leaves little holes where it ate into the metal. It can also be the result of casting: trapped air stopped the metal from filling the mould completely, typically in the highest spots (in this case the lettering). If you see those holes, be careful, but don't jump to conclusions.

What will betray this fake is the "ping" test.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.