Author Topic: Aurangzeb, half paisa, mailapur mint! 1116Ah. Rare!!  (Read 816 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Aurangzeb, half paisa, mailapur mint! 1116Ah. Rare!!
« on: August 10, 2016, 05:18:07 PM »
Hi all,
Here is a scarce/ rare mint in bith silver as well as copper. The mint is mailapur and represents one of the southern most mints of Mughal empire during Aurangzeb reign. Mailapur is now a suburb in the metropolitan city of Chennai( Madras) known as Mylapuram.
Obverse- Falus Alamgiri
Reverse- zarb Mailapur, 1116Ah
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Re: Aurangzeb, half paisa, mailapur mint! 1116Ah. Rare!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 06:46:57 PM »
Black- Mailapur
Brown- 1116AH
Dr.Abhishek

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »
Wow, great acquisition. Rare mint indeed and the coin is like its name ie Maila (unclean)  :)
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
The interesting thing is that these coppers predates the silver issues. The silver rupees are seen  for 1118/ry50 and 1118/ry51.. whereas the coppers are dated 1116Ah
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Thank you for that overlay, Abishek. I would have missed a third of the letters and all of the dots without it. I am tickled that the die sinker found the energy and place to add a little four-dotted flower.

Was this town a recent conquest when these coins were struck? I would imagine that those who had silver had buried it before the Mughals had a chance to get at it, while copper could have come from looting the poor.

Is it true in this case also that the fractional coins are the hardest to find? Anyway, congratulations with a very interesting piece of history.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.