News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Interesting error on 2015 new portrait 50p

Started by tonyclayton, May 31, 2016, 11:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyclayton

I have had a report (and photos) of a Dent reverse 2015 50p with the Battle of Britain obverse, thus the coin has its denomination on both sides. There is no need to post photos as each side appears perfectly normal, just a mule. I wonder how many are out there

<k>

Quote from: tonyclayton on May 31, 2016, 11:50:21 AM
a Dent reverse 2015 50p with the Battle of Britain obverse

Are you sure you don't mean the other way round? From which date is the BoB design?

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

tonyclayton

The 2015 Battle of Britain coin has the denomination on the obverse. I believe that circulation issues as opposed to the examples in the 2015 set had the new portrait, but as I have yet to receive one in change I cannot confirm this.  I would be most grateful for any comment on this

<k>

Quote from: tonyclayton on May 31, 2016, 12:02:06 PM
The 2015 Battle of Britain coin has the denomination on the obverse. I believe that circulation issues as opposed to the examples in the 2015 set had the new portrait, but as I have yet to receive one in change I cannot confirm this.  I would be most grateful for any comment on this

I see what you mean. Will have to search for this design - they come so thick and fast these days that I can't keep up.

eurocoin

Very interesting! I would like to see photos of the obverse, reverse and edge of this particular coin.

andyg

Quote from: tonyclayton on May 31, 2016, 12:02:06 PM

I have 6 examples left (I had 20) - all have the new portrait.

btw, Did you see the 2009 Lion 10p Mule which surfaced recently?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/351698369006?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

Is there anything to support the existence that mule? At first glance the eBay listing looks like a scam (e.g. no way to establish whether the pictures are two sides of the same coin, ridiculous BIN price rather than having confidence in the market, no sale).

eurocoin

Serious collectors shouldn't buy a Royal Mint error that doesn't come with a letter from The Royal Mint to guarantee its authenticity.

andyg

Quote from: FosseWay on June 01, 2016, 07:13:54 PM
Is there anything to support the existence that mule? At first glance the eBay listing looks like a scam (e.g. no way to establish whether the pictures are two sides of the same coin, ridiculous BIN price rather than having confidence in the market, no sale).

All quite true but the seller is usually pretty reliable (also a regular contributor to Krause) so, unlike most ebay auctions, I would tend to believe this one!
I agree that it's overpriced somewhat.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

A reminder of what the normal coin looks like.