Author Topic: Shah Jahan: Silver Qtr Rupee, 2.79g, RY 31, KM 212.1  (Read 505 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Shah Jahan: Silver Qtr Rupee, 2.79g, RY 31, KM 212.1
« on: January 17, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
Shah Jahan, Silver Qtr Rupee, 2.79g, RY 31, KM 212.1

I assume this would be rare/scarce being a Quarter Rupee, and in this condition, but welcome member's views. The legend is placed within an Octofoil on both sides that makes me think it might be an issue from mints mentioned here.

The RY date on the coin indicates the issue being in the last years of Shah Jahan's reign.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan: Silver Qtr Rupee, 2.79g, RY 31, KM 212.1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
Great to show the quarter together with the rupee. It will give a newbie immediate appreciation of how different Mughal money and modern money are, how one die could make different denominations, how the weight of coins played an important role and more, for instance if you add that the quarter rupees are much harder to find than the full rupees.

The octofoil invites central striking, but I still wonder if this quarter wasn't prepared specially. The large die must have obscured the view of the flan, making a precise centric strike impossible without outside marking.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
Yes you are right Peter. The quarter does indeed seem struck from specific dies as almost the full die with legend and border is visible on this specimen. Those struck from normal rupee die would struggle to accommodate barely a portion or two of the legends, forget the border ornamentation.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
Would love to know the thickness of the coin. Evidently the mint and la'qaab of the ruler are missing which falls outside the octrafoil.. I don't think these were struck with special dies as all legend outside the octafoil are missing and so it is important to know the thickness ae sometimes the rupees are stripped of their margins to create the fractions.
Dr.Abhishek