News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Royal Mint: the coin themes that didn't make it

Started by <k>, December 31, 2015, 04:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

From the Telegraph:

New 60p coin to mark Queen's Diamond Jubilee among scores rejected by the Royal Mint

Proposals to mark anniversaries of the Titanic disaster, the creation of the Football Association, George V's coronation and the death of Captain Scott also among those abandoned .
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Am I the only one who is wondering why The Daily Telegraph is interested in such things?

<k>

Quote from: Niels on December 31, 2015, 04:38:12 PM
Am I the only one who is wondering why The Daily Telegraph is interested in such things?

Why do you wonder? The Telegraph is interested in all things "establishment": Parliament, the monarchy - so why not the Mint?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on December 31, 2015, 04:41:45 PM
Why do you wonder? The Telegraph is interested in all things "establishment": Parliament, the monarchy - so why not the Mint?

I don't know, I certainly hadn't expected such things to be published in a newspaper.
Apparently they were very interested as they did a lot of work to get what they wanted.

Alan71

Well, at least there is apparently still some quality control at the Mint.  I was starting to wonder if they would commemorate the opening of an envelope.  And a 60p coin?  What on earth would be the point of such a thing?  I'm glad all of these were rejected.

Manzikert

The FOI information request was apparently from the Press Association rather than the Telegraph, and there is even a short report on this on the BBC News website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35204012 .

I have to agree about the wierdness of a 60p coin.

Alan

Bimat

I do not have any issues with the 60p coin, provided it's not meant for circulation. ;) From mint's point of view, they have to make money so they will find ways to do so...In euro countries, we already have plenty of weird denominations, none of which were supposed to be circulated (There are coins like Portuguese €7.5 which can circulate within Portugal, at-least theoretically). I think Royal mint missed a golden opportunity of asking £100 for a 60p coin! :D

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Alan71

I remember when they introduced the circulation £2 coin in 1997, I assumed they would no longer be using it as a commemorative coin (how wrong I was there!).  I thought they might re-introduce the Half Crown, re-denominated at £2.50 to correspond with the £5 coin.  This could be used to mark non-royal events. 

In the end, the £2 coin once again used commemorative designs from 1999 onwards.  I think it's good that the 50p and £2 are used this way as it means the coins end up in everyday circulation.  A 60p coin wouldn't.  High-value non-circulation coins like the £5 are OK but a 60p coin is a silly value.

Bimat

I do not think that the proposed 60p coin was intended for circulation. I agree with you that it's a silly value, but so is a £20 or a £100 coin. ;) I think (as usual), news reports are creating unnecessary hype over a non-issue, the Shakespeare coin was reported in some Indian news portals too! :o

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.