Author Topic: Aurangzeb dam, Zafarabad mint  (Read 524 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Aurangzeb dam, Zafarabad mint
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:21:21 AM »
HI all,
Here is another rarity
The coin is a dam of Auangzeb with mint Zafarabad.. Wt-19.9gms
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Aurangzeb dam, Zafarabad mint
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 07:17:14 AM »
Congratulations, Abishek. I am sure the key to your success is being able to read the script, but what's next? Where do you find the (presumably) tons of copper coins to find the needle in the haystack? Or do you use another method?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
I may not have been able to recognize the rarity of the coin, but i would certainly have picked it out because of the spectacular color contrasts !

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
I may not have been able to recognize the rarity of the coin, but i would certainly have picked it out because of the spectacular color contrasts !
Thanks a lot.. The coin is beautiful

Congratulations, Abishek. I am sure the key to your success is being able to read the script, but what's next? Where do you find the (presumably) tons of copper coins to find the needle in the haystack? Or do you use another method?

Peter

Large lots helps but most lots have common mints.. One finds a lot of dates in a particular mint in large lots and one can be lucky to find rarities. But such lots are not easy to comeby and now a days due to social media,  easy recognition of coins have become possible  by simply putting a pic on social media like FB.. Now a days good and unusual coins are sorted at ground level and thus rarities have become difficult to find.

Although the concerned person who have access to the lot may not able to read but they put these on social networks like facebook and World of coins and several others where they are attributed by experts. Auction catalogues are easily available on internet and the prices of coins are determined easily by seeing realisation of previous auctions. So it has become very difficult to pick up rarities at cheap rates as it used to be say 2 years earlier..

I have a good network of friends all over India and abroad and they generally know that I pay handsomely for coppers. So I'm approached by net or on phone about a coin found and ready to be sold. This particular coin of Zafarabad was found in Nagpur (far away from Delhi) and I was contacted for attribution and sale (although I must admit I got this coin much cheaper than current rates).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:28:46 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:55:34 PM »
I wish I had a big pile to sort through to find such treasures, 8)  although I have had good fortune with spotting rarities myself :D
Vic