News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK commemorative themes for 2016

Started by <k>, October 18, 2015, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

You are thinking logically and rationally, Hertfordian. They are thinking commercially, in terms of "what can I get away with? More and more!"

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

augsburger

It'll bite them in the arse at some point, no doubt. Yes people will always buy this stuff, but once they realise almost nothing is going to be rare, or worth anything, but that might take some people 20 or 30 years to figure out.

Pabitra

It may not be understood even in that period.
More and more people are getting born everyday so you can continue to fool new ones every day🤗

eurocoin

The next 3 -50p coins in the Beatrix Potter series will feature Jemima Puddle-Duck, Hedgehog Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and Squirrel Nutkin.
As mentioned before, the next 50p coin in this series will be issued on April 20.

augsburger

Probably be the same as the Peter Rabbit one, one they can do in colour, so the normal coin will look just like the picture they have below.

eurocoin

Quote from: augsburger on February 29, 2016, 07:40:10 AM
Are the coloured coins going to be circulated? Might be the first coloured coins.

No they are not going to circulate. For the people who are interested and weren't in time to order
the silver coloured proof coin (or want to make a quick buck), The Royal Mint still has 200+ of
the coloured proof coins in stock, only available if you call them (opened 7 days a week).

eurocoin

The Royal Mint is going to issue a 50 Pence coin for the participation of Team GB on the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The design will depict a swimmer with the Team GB logo, the Olympic rings and the inscription "TEAM GB".

augsburger

::)

The Royal Mint is going to have to change it's name at some point.

"The Royal Jump on the Bandwagon"
"The Royal Mint as many Coins as Possible"

There's no reason to mint a coin for the participation in an event that happens every four years, and is happening in BRAZIL.

Pabitra

There is a reasonable body of collectors who collect Sports or Olympics as a theme.
Kindly let them also enjoy their hobby.😃

augsburger

Pabrita, I don't even know how to respond to your comment, other than: how am I not letting people get on with their hobby?

If every man and his dog produce coins for the olympics, then what's the point of collecting olympic coins?

Pabitra

Each one has his own passion and poison.
I will not comment on why they collect that.

Mint has to make profits and they find minting Olympic coins very profitable.
London Olympics had its own set of coins followed by Para Olympics.

There was a big craze collecting those 50 Pence coins.

Now, other even years, there is Winter Olympics and countries like Canada make coins for them too.

Bimat

Quote from: Niels on March 22, 2016, 06:59:35 PM
The Royal Mint is going to issue a 50 Pence coin for the participation of Team GB on the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The design will depict a swimmer with the Team GB logo, the Olympic rings and the inscription "TEAM GB".

Any particular reason for selecting swimmer (i.e. swimming) and no other sport. OK, I do not want to give more ideas to Royal Mint... :P

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

The Spanish have issued two coins for their Olympic team... however they've done 10 euros and a 100 Euros, that for me is better, they're for those who want them, but not circulating commemorative coins (which i'd say most collectors think should be for something worth commemorating).

Bimat

This is horrible series!!! Image posted by Royal Mint on FB.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

Looks more like advertising than commemorating.