News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK commemorative themes for 2016

Started by <k>, October 18, 2015, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyGuyUK

Just seen a pic I presume of the finalised design of the 2016 Beatrix Potter 50p - amazing what you can find when you search through Google!

Happy new year all.

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/861348/stream_img.jpg
Ian
UK

eurocoin

Quote from: hertfordian on December 31, 2015, 10:16:41 PM
Just seen a pic I presume of the finalised design of the 2016 Beatrix Potter 50p - amazing what you can find when you search through Google!

Happy new year all.

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/861348/stream_img.jpg

:o :o They deleted the original article (Mirror).

eurocoin

The Royal Mint has now released the image to the media, I think the embargo lasted until a few minutes ago. :)
Anyway, great discovery Hertfordian!

augsburger

Picture now in, from facebook

Alan71

It was also widely reported on the BBC News app yesterday, and at one point was in the ten most-read news stories.  It mentioned the 60p coin idea and also featured the other 2016 commemorative coin designs.

Presumably the Beatrix Potter coin will go on sale any day now, at £10 each.  A nice £9.50 profit there for the Royal Mint and the UK Treasury.

Alan71

I was right... £10 for a 50p coin.  I'm tempted to wait for one from circulation and save myself £9.50.

http://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/150th-anniversary-of-beatrix-potter-2016

eurocoin

The Beatrix Potter coin is the first issue of a new series of coins.

Bimat

Knight the Lions Appeal boosted as Royal Mint coins set to commemorate England's World Cup win

20:00, 23 JAN 2016 UPDATED 20:04, 23 JAN 2016
BY MATTHEW DRAKE

Special Royal Mint coins are set to be issued to honour the 50th anniversary of England's World Cup win.

The commemorative series – all bearing Kenneth Wolstenholme's famous commentary "they think it's all over" – would be released ahead of this summer's celebrations to mark the 1966 Wembley victory.

A source at the Royal Mint said: "The coins will be an authentic keepsake that can be treasured for life."

The news comes as support continues to grow for the Sunday Mirror's appeal for all of the heroes who beat West Germany that July afternoon to be knighted.

Up to now only hat-trick scorer Geoff Hurst and Bobby Charlton have been made Sirs, along with manager Alf Ramsey.

[...]

Source: Mirror
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

Only being commemorated because we haven't won the World Cup since.

Alan71

I wonder if this means five 50p coins?  It does say "series".  As we know, there were seven unaccounted-for 50p slots in the coin hunt albums.  Two of these are for Beatrix Potter so that means there are five left.  I hope this is the case and that the five will be available in one set.  They appear to be issuing the Beatrix Potter ones separately though.

Here's a link to the Royal Mint blog:
http://blog.royalmint.com/more-2016-uk-coins-to-come/

One coin for Beatrix Potter would surely have been enough, and the same for the World Cup but the Mint will do what it likes to make money for the Treasury...

kena

At least it is not the 29 50 pence coins they did for the 2011 Olympics.

I believe three of the seven design 50 pence coins are known from the mint web site.

1066 Battle of Hastings
feature a silhouette of Beatrix Potter
portrait of the character Peter Rabbit, from Beatrix Potter's first children's book, 'The Tale of Peter Rabbit'

Sounds like number 4 is the World Cup England win coin.

Since the folder is for coins you can find in circulation means 7 for circulation.  Makes you wonder if we will set a Royal Shield 50 pence for circulation in 2016.

Ken

Alan71

Only two are known, I think. Even after the Battle of Hastings coin is taken into consideration, there are still seven spaces to fill.  The blog suggests that the shield version isn't being issued as it's not mentioned at all:
"Just one 50p was revealed in the annual sets release in November but, as you can see here, there are still quite a few spaces to fill in the 50p Coin Hunt Collector Album. In fact there are seven 50p spaces to fill and this hasn't gone unnoticed on social media."

The shield 50p wasn't issued for three years running, 2009 to 2011, so it is possible it won't be this year.

augsburger

Well Belgium has issued a coin for "Team Belgium", so maybe we'll get one of those too.

Bimat

Quote from: augsburger on January 24, 2016, 09:03:40 AM
Only being commemorated because we haven't won the World Cup since.

Oh come on! You did win the T20 World Cup in 2010...That too against Australia! :P

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

augsburger

Haha, yeah, we won the Rugby World Cup too, apparently, but Football is king in England, the Football World Cup is the hardest to win as there's so much more competition.