UK commemorative themes for 2016

Started by <k>, October 18, 2015, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on November 03, 2015, 08:40:27 AM
Thanks.
Since when has this been getting issued?
Never seen a bimetallic token being issued by any country as a part of mint proof set.

The Premium Medal is being issued in the Premium Proof Set since 2012, when the Premium Proof Set was issued for the first time.
In 2012 and 2013 the Premium Medal wasn't bimetallic (Cupro-Nickel).

Pabitra

<k>

What is the meaning of this announcement from the Royal Mint?

"Also announced is a special one pound coin to be included in specific coin sets, effectively saying goodbye to the current one pound coin, which will be replaced by a new security enhanced circulation version in 2017."

Pabitra

Quote from: Niels on November 03, 2015, 09:16:43 AM
In 2012 and 2013 the Premium Medal wasn't bimetallic (Cupro-Nickel).

Does that mean they were bimetallic for 2014 and 2015?
If yes, can I have the images?

augsburger

A mixed bag of coins this year.

I like the Shakespeare skull/Hamlet coin, seems well designed. The other two I don't really like. I see that they sort of make a series, but the crown one is so simple and boring.
The WW1 one is boring.
The fire of London one is nice, but could have been done better, the boats all look like the same boats, for example.

The 50p Battle of Hastings is nice too, but could have been a bit better done, but I think will look nice.

The 1 pound coins isn't even for circulation, what's the point then?
And the 5 pound coins looks like all the other "let's celebrate some royal thing but we don't know what to draw" kind of coin.

Pabitra

Got it.
The Last 'Round Pound' 2016 UK £1 Coin

augsburger

Is this coin one of the ones that "failed" the competition?

Pabitra

I do not know if it failed in competition.
<k> should be able to tell.
This is being minted and issued in some set as goodbye coin to round coin of one pound.

augsburger

Was the one pound coin last year, the one with the angry unicorn, issued for circulation?

<k>

Quote from: Pabitra on November 04, 2015, 05:48:39 AM
I do not know if it failed in competition.
<k> should be able to tell.
This is being minted and issued in some set as goodbye coin to round coin of one pound.

The proclamation says that this pound design is being minted both in silver and in nickel-brass. This means that the nickel-brass coin is the one intended for circulation, therefore it is not and cannot be a "failure". Last year's special design was also intended for circulation, though I personally have yet to find one.

If a coin design does not win a specific competition, but then is judged so good that it is used for some other purpose, then it is not a "failure". At least not in the UK. Maybe in Europe the practice is that, if a design does not win its intended competition, then it is not used for any other purpose - but I don't know. A good design is worth keeping. "Failure" is just a concept and too stark a term in this instance. By that token, the Canadian Loonie was a failure - it was only issued after the dies for the canoe dollar design were lost and had originally "failed" in a competition for a commemorative collector design.

If selected professional designers are invited to take part in a Royal Mint competition - as was the case wit the new royal portrait - then they are paid for their entries, but the winning entry earns a much higher financial reward. If the competition is public, as with the one that Matthew Dent won for hid new UK design series, then only the winner is paid.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Pabitra

Quote from: augsburger on November 04, 2015, 06:05:07 AM
Was the one pound coin last year, the one with the angry unicorn, issued for circulation?

Which coin do you refer to as one with angry unicorn?
Is it this one?

Pabitra

Quote from: augsburger on November 04, 2015, 05:35:55 AM
Is this coin one of the ones that "failed" the competition?

Also kindly tell me which competition is being refered to?
I am quite poor in solving cryptic clues 😊

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on November 04, 2015, 11:57:16 AM
The proclamation says that this pound design is being minted both in silver and in nickel-brass. This means that the nickel-brass coin is the one intended for circulation

The new 1 pound coin won't be circulating, it will only be for sale at The Royal Mint and will be used to replace the completer medal in the coin hunt folders. Other than that you are completely right.

<k>

Quote from: Niels on November 04, 2015, 12:27:12 PM
The new 1 pound coin won't be circulating, it will only be for sale at The Royal Mint and will be used to replace the completer medal in the coin hunt folders.

Well, that's a pity. It's a fine design.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

augsburger

Quote from: Pabitra on November 04, 2015, 12:22:09 PM
Which coin do you refer to as one with angry unicorn?
Is it this one?

Yes, that one. I like it, think it would look good on the new bimetalic one pound more than the design that won.

andyg

Quote from: augsburger on November 04, 2015, 04:28:25 PM
Yes, that one. I like it, think it would look good on the new bimetalic one pound more than the design that won.

These are out and about in the wild now - but they are not very common.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....