News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

UK commemorative themes for 2016

Started by <k>, October 18, 2015, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

I notice the Royal Mint has not included the scene that scared the wits out of me when I was a child: Tom Kitten being made into a pie by two rats.  >:(
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

SandyGuyUK

Quote from: augsburger on March 24, 2016, 12:25:51 PM
Looks more like advertising than commemorating.

I wonder if the Royal Mint are trying to pitch for the Isle of Man coinage contract and in so doing, are trying to show that they can produce anything as tacky/kitsch as the Pobjoy Mint has been able to over the last few years?
Ian
UK

Alan71

Quote from: augsburger on March 24, 2016, 06:26:30 AM
The Spanish have issued two coins for their Olympic team... however they've done 10 euros and a 100 Euros, that for me is better, they're for those who want them, but not circulating commemorative coins (which i'd say most collectors think should be for something worth commemorating).
Yes, I'm actually starting to think that 60p commemorative coin that was considered but later rejected may actually have been a good idea afterall.  They could have used it for the Beatrix Potter and Team GB nonsense (as well as the over-the-top three coins for Shakespeare) and not troubled the circulating coinage.  That way I would have avoided it completely. 

As it is, I've collected all the 50p and £2 types so far and feel compelled to continue.  This will clearly be a yearly thing though, and at some point I (and probably many others) will have had enough.  This collecting by the Facebook likers may well turn out to be a passing fad.

Figleaf

Quote from: Alan71 on March 24, 2016, 06:50:48 PM
They could have used it for the Beatrix Potter and Team GB nonsense (as well as the over-the-top three coins for Shakespeare)

I beg to disagree with your evaluation of the Shakespeare coins. A series of three for the man who shaped the English language and gave it some of its best curses seems especially modest compared to five coins for Beatrix Potter, who managed only to charm overly romantic parents and a zillion coins for the travelling sports circus that is the olympic games.

I admit they could have picked a year that is somewhat more significant for Shakespeare, though. ::)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

Quote from: Figleaf on March 24, 2016, 07:41:49 PM
I admit they could have picked a year that is somewhat more significant for Shakespeare, though. ::)

You don't get much more significant than whole centuries... Not quite sure what you mean. On the other hand the 1066 commemorative does seem to be clutching at reasons to mint extra commemoratives. Who notices, never mind commemorates, 950th anniversaries?

Alan71

Yes, you're right Peter.  I was being a bit harsh on the Shakespeare series.  Three coins for that is OK.

It seems a bit sad, to me anyway, that most of the commemoratives are for anniversaries, and therefore looking back to the past as though we have nothing to celebrate now apart from sporting events.  Australia, for instance, marked their year of the Volunteers in 2003 with commemoratives.  That's what the UK should have: recognition of good work.  Not so much looking back and marking things that don't need marking (950th anniversaries, as FosseWay points out).

Bimat

New coins to feature 'The Queen's Beasts' - including £100 gold piece of coinage

By LANA CLEMENTS
PUBLISHED: 17:09, Tue, Mar 29, 2016 | UPDATED: 17:17, Tue, Mar 29, 2016

NEW gold and silver coins featuring the 'Queen's beasts' will go on sale to collectors, the Royal Mint has announced.

Ten creatures that have symbolised British royalty will be introduced one by one.

The series will start with the gallant Lion of England by Jody Clark, who also the coin designer behind the Queen's fifth coin portrait.

Investors can purchase a silver £5 coin, as well as either a gold £25 or £100 coin.

The Lion of England features on the Royal Arms that represents Queen Elizabeth II and the United Kingdom.

But the animal has been used as a symbol of England since the 12th century - featuring on the coat of arms of every British sovereign.

Richard the Lion-heart, son of King Henry II, is famed for his three golden lions as the Royal Arms of England.

Ms Clark said: "The lion in my design takes a rampant stance, the most fierce.

"I researched imagery of lions in the wild to make sure that mine had a true likeness to the creature's character, but I was careful that it wasn't too realistic.

"In this context the lion is a 'beast' and I wanted it to feel fantastical, so when it came to areas like the eyes I kept them blank.

"Adding too much detail softened the look and I think this way there is still a sense of sculpture reflecting the originals."

The overall collection has been inspired by The Queen's Beasts sculptures, created for the coronation ceremony of the Queen held in Westminster Abbey in 1953.

Each beast has been used as an heraldic badge by prior monarchs before her, and comes after the King's Beasts of Henry VIII that still line the bridge over the moat of Hampton Court Palace.

Head of bullion sales, Nick Bowkett said: "The introduction of The Queen's Beasts series brings an exciting new series of bullion coins to investors around the globe."

The Royal Mint's core bullion range also includes Britannia bullion coins, and the Royal Mint Refinery range of gold and silver bars.

Source: Express
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Pabitra

Quote from: Bimat on March 30, 2016, 06:04:12 AM

Ms Clark said: "The lion in my design takes a rampant stance, the most fierce.

When did Jody undergo sex change?😄

Bimat

Ten creatures that have symbolised British royalty will be introduced one by one.

The series will start with the gallant Lion of England by Jody Clark, who also the coin designer behind the Queen's fifth coin portrait.

There you go!!! Huge opportunity for investors! ;D ;D ;D

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

Actual pic of the 4 coins as posted by Royal Mint/National Trust NW on twitter.

Aditya

Pabitra

There are five coins in the picture and not four.
Also, all coins are same.

augsburger

It's a money saving technique, instead of showing different images, you have to use your imagination....  ;D ;D

Pabitra

So management consultants are now telling the Royal mint to diversify in to imagineerin😏

Bimat

Quote from: Pabitra on March 31, 2016, 11:19:10 AM
There are five coins in the picture and not four.
Also, all coins are same.

Ohh Sorry, I must have been to some other planet when I posted it.... ::)

Aditya

quaziright

Would Charing Cross weekend fair be the right place to find all these new commems. I'd like to get loose coins rather than the coin cards. But I'm perplexed if all these latest commemoratives are even supposedly available in general circulation