Author Topic: Akbar: Rupee, Berar, Bird below mint name, KM 93.6  (Read 866 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Akbar: Rupee, Berar, Bird below mint name, KM 93.6
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Akbar, Silver Rupee, Berar, Mihr 4x, bird below Mint name, KM 93.6

Bird on Rev highlighted as per attached below........
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar: Rupee, Berar, Bird below mint name, KM 93.6
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 02:03:14 PM »
Good fun, Mitresh. It helps that the coin is beautiful even without bird. I get the itch to colour it again. Those subtle flowers remind me of the Taj Mahal...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »
Superb ! your pictures are a delight to the eyes... :perfect:
 birds and generally speaking, animals are rarely seen as ornaments on mughal coins

here a bird on a "year 22" rupee of IPS Jaisalmer
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:47:57 PM »
Thanks Peter & Bernard.

Peter - the Mughal coins interspersed with decorative elements such as flowers, vine-leaves, stalks, sun-burst etc make the coins that more interesting and visually appealing.

Bernard - that's a nice IPS coin with bird motif. I have a couple of the same type and will post soon.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
The bird on the Berar rupee is probably a pigeon...

"In the Āʼīn-i Akbarī (‘Akbar’s regulations’), Abu’l-Fazl devotes a whole section (Book 2, Āʼīn 29) to amusements which include pigeon-flying (ʻishqbāzī), breeding and the different colours of the royal pigeons. Altogether there were estimated to be more than 20,000 pigeons at Akbar’s court, but only 500 were select (khāṣṣah). When the emperor moved camp, the pigeons were taken as well, with bearers carring their portable dovecotes. Pigeons were trained to do quite complicated manoevres: the wheel (charkh) “a lusty movement ending with the pigeon throwing itself over in a full circle” and turning somersaults (bāzī). A select pigeon could perform 15 charkhs and 70 bazis in one session. Although ordinary people were amused by pigeon flying, His Majesty, Abu’l-Fazl writes, “uses the occupation as a way of reducing unsettled, worldly-minded men to obedience, and avails himself of it as a means productive of harmony and friendship.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:15:41 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)