News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mughal, Aurangzeb, Akbarnagar, RY 26

Started by asm, May 11, 2009, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

The coin seems to be a Mughal issue of Aurangzeb Alamgir but I am not sure. RY 26. The reverse has a sort of a mint mark that I am not familiar with. Is it in fact a Mughal issue or that of some Princely State (looking to the caligraphy, I am inclined to second this). Please help attribute it.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Oesho

It's a normal Mughal issue, mint Akbarnagar.
The Ry. is for most of the coins of this mint located in the loop of Manus. The coins bear the Mihr Munir couplet, instead of Badr Munir which is found on the majority of the rupees of Aurangzeb.

Ref.: KM#300.7

asm

Oesho,
Thank you for the clarification. I had first identified the coin as such but the mark which I have highlighted in the coin below confused me. Since there was no AH date, I was unable to correctly attribute it. Could you please throw more light on the mark?

Oesho

The symbol in between Manu-s is just a decoration. On some it is an arrowhead pointed down with three dots, on others it is a leaf-mark. The mint of Akbarnagar (=Rajmahal in Bengal) excessively used various mintmarks and decorations on their coins. Particular on those in the name of Jahangir.

asm

Oesho,
Thank you for the information.
Amit

Rangnath

Thanks for being inquisitive Amit.  When I see symbols on a coin, I have been making the assumption that they are identity marks of some kind.  That some symbols might be solely decorative is quite a revelation. Thanks Oesho.
richie