News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

What is 'Antique Finish'?

Started by Bimat, September 25, 2015, 10:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

There are quite a few pseudo collector coins (mostly produced by The Royal Australian Mint but there are other producers too) from a number of nations which are sold with description 'Antique Finish'. What does it really mean? If I understand it correctly, the coins are produced to look like they 'old' or 'antique'. Is that correct?

My next question is how is this effect achieved?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Bimat

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

@josephjk

Coins are harshly cleaned so there are surface hairlines in the fields.  A  colored toning oil is applied and the excess is rubbed off so the coin looks old. The coin surface is then sealed and buffed with a wax or some such....

Bimat

Quote from: @josephjk on September 25, 2015, 11:06:47 AM
Coins are harshly cleaned so there are surface hairlines in the fields.

Thanks Joseph! I'm amazed to see that coins are 'harshly cleaned'. Doesn't that go against modern mints' basic principle of not cleaning the coin because it reduces its value? ;D

A  colored toning oil is applied and the excess is rubbed off so the coin looks old. The coin surface is then sealed and buffed with a wax or some such....

Does this mean that the coin is actually stored in wet (or semi-wet) condition? ???

Aditya

@josephjk

It's more likely that the dies are scrubbed to show lines (instead of scrubbing the coins) so there are lines on the coin surface after minting. The whole idea is to make a bright newly minted coin look old. The toning oil will rub off with handling, that is why a sealer is applied to the surface to lock in the color from the oil.

Abhay

Dear Aditya,

For Silver, the antique finish can very easily be achieved by putting the silver article in an atmosphere with high sulphur content. An easy way is to put the silver article in the crushed BOILED EGG YELLOW, which is rich in sulphur  content.

A video which shows the whole process : http://jewelrymakingjournal.com/how-to-oxidize-sterling-silver-and-copper-with-boiled-eggs/

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

malj1

I have a 1970 Captain James Cook National Trust of Australia Victoria Medal, these were given an "Antique" finish at the time of issue being darkened in the recessed areas and around the lettering.

See here
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Bimat

Quote from: Abhay on September 25, 2015, 01:05:25 PM
Dear Aditya,

For Silver, the antique finish can very easily be achieved by putting the silver article in an atmosphere with high sulphur content. An easy way is to put the silver article in the crushed BOILED EGG YELLOW, which is rich in sulphur  content.

A video which shows the whole process : http://jewelrymakingjournal.com/how-to-oxidize-sterling-silver-and-copper-with-boiled-eggs/

Interesting! But then, I also notice that these antique finish coins are not as largely produced as other varieties (like proof or matte). Any particular reason why? Is it an expensive process?

Quote from: malj1 on September 25, 2015, 03:09:21 PM
I have a 1970 Captain James Cook National Trust of Australia Victoria Medal, these were given an "Antique" finish at the time of issue being darkened in the recessed areas and around the lettering.

See here

That's a cool looking medal! 8)

This is yet another very informative thread on WoC. Thank you all!!! :)

Aditya