News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Music: Famous Vocal Performers and Groups;Non-Operatic

Started by Alan Glasser, February 20, 2011, 10:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

I was reading a post from someone who shared my disdain that John Lennon was honored on a coin recently, over many far more worthy candidates. I can't find the post again but wanted to reply.

I couldn't agree more that ANY of the other names being considered for the honor of being on a British coin would have been a far more appropriate choice. I'm no big Lennon fan....he was OK, but I find that I need to include the coin in my music coins collection anyway. I am waiting for some of the hubbub to die down and hopefully prices will drop on the silver proof version and I can scoop one up. What I find interesting is how much more expensive the "certified" versions of the coin are. I certainly can't justify that and will not seek a certified example unless they are offering it inexpensively.

If I am conflicted about adding Lennon to the music collection, the 2009 Isle of Man "Beegees" coin really makes me to not include modern musicians at all. First of all...Beegees WHO????   I mean...they are so "past it" as I believe the Britts say. And secondly, the coin is butt ugly! I'll add the coin in, but only if the price is BETTER than good!!

To add insult to injury, there is the Michael Jackson coin of Sierra Leone. I didn't care for Michael Jackson's "lifestyle", nor his music, but there is no doubting his talent (misdirected as it was). Poland has honored 2 modern musicians and I included their coins (3 each) in my set, but the Beegees????...and Lennon???...and then there are the Elvis Presley coins from the Marshall Islands and St Prince and Thomas Islands I believe. I have all of those...but somehow...they just don't seem to be in the right place with "real" musicians like Mozart, Brahms, Bach......BEETHOVEN....  Cal me a musical snob, but where are the REAL musicians these days?  Jumpy page time.    Alan

andyg

Quote from: alglasser on February 20, 2011, 10:20:38 PM

I couldn't agree more that ANY of the other names being considered for the honor of being on a British coin would have been a far more appropriate choice. I'm no big Lennon fan....he was OK, but I find that I need to include the coin in my music coins collection anyway. I am waiting for some of the hubbub to die down and hopefully prices will drop on the silver proof version and I can scoop one up. What I find interesting is how much more expensive the "certified" versions of the coin are. I certainly can't justify that and will not seek a certified example unless they are offering it inexpensively.

It is not a British coin!  It is from Alderney, a place that will use any non-event to stick on a coin. It's a coin to appeal to the unwashed masses, less to honour the musician than to make money from selling it.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

chrisild

Here is another one, focusing on the Alderney piece but still about the same issue:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,7770.0.html

QuoteI have all of those...but somehow...they just don't seem to be in the right place with "real" musicians like Mozart, Brahms, Bach......BEETHOVEN....  Cal me a musical snob, but where are the REAL musicians these days?

Snob. ;D Well, the way we "consume" music nowadays is quite different from how it was a few centuries ago. So why should the way we "produce" it be the same as back then? Besides, I think that there have been quite a few creative minds around; from the US for example there are Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Bobby McFerrin, and lots of others. Who of them will still be remembered in 2200? I don't know.

Christian

Alan Glasser

I stand corrected. Gee...I haven't been considered as part of the "unwashed masses" since my college days. Well, I am proud to say that I have not got a single coin from Alderney but if someone were to flip me a KM-25 of 2002 5 pound coin, I'd take it. :>)

Alan

andyg

Quote from: alglasser on February 20, 2011, 10:57:44 PM
I stand corrected. Gee...I haven't been considered as part of the "unwashed masses" since my college days. Well, I am proud to say that I have not got a single coin from Alderney but if someone were to flip me a KM-25 of 2002 5 pound coin, I'd take it. :>)

Alan

hehe, I need to quantify my statement a little.
This coin is aimed at the unwashed masses who will respond to an advert in the Sunday paper for a "limited issue legal tender coin at a bargain price of just £39.95 (plus £4.99 postage)"

Quite where you fit in looking for this one on the secondary market when all the hype has died down I'm not so sure.
But then you're a collector, which puts you above the "unwashed masses" ;D (and Dale ::))

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Quote from: alglasser on March 06, 2011, 01:14:02 AM
AndyG

The "all you need is Love" coin...is that the Lennon piece that is so hot right now. I've been bidding...but no wins yet. of course I HAVE to have the silver proof...though somewhere I read that the "base" (copper nickel) has much more growth potential. Can't figure that one out...and I don't really care anyway...someone once told me as a kid collector, "buy the best you can afford"...well, I can't afford the silver one right now so I'm waiting for a sale...or a general loss of interest in the initial enthusiasm for the coin.

I thought you meant this John Lennon piece which has been issued by Alderney.  The UK Silver proof is part of the "Celebration of Britain" series for the olympics.  It is available from the mint for the issue price of £61.99.  I doubt it will go much below this.

Alan Glasser

Yes, andy. You are absolutely right. That's the coin...(Lennon)...I just had the wrong island. Thanks for the tip on the British music coin. Printed and saved.

Alan

<k>

IsleManBeeGeesCrown.jpg

Well, here is that Bee Gees coin you were talking about. I think we should add it, if only because the coin was produced by the Isle of Man AND the Bee Gees were born on the Isle of Man! How often does the Isle of Man issue a collector coin that has ANYTHING to do with the Isle of Man?  ;D

I still remember what a tawdry decade the 1970s were, and the Bee Gees certainly helped to make it that. I couldn't wait for the 1980s: rarely has one decade seemed so entirely different from the one that preceded it, in look, in style - and in politics.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Alan Glasser

Hi, Coffeetime.

I recently added the BeeGees coin...not exactly my cup of tea...and the design is FAR from inspirational...but music is music...I put the piece in the "performers" section. About a week ago, I really broke with my classical roots and won the Michael jackson Coin from Sierra Leone to add to the "Performers" section as well. Jackson was very talented...no doubt about it...but his music was not my cup of tea at all. Guess I'm a bit of a musical snob.

Giving some thought to setting up a "contemporary musician/performer" sub-division as I have Elvis Presley in with Prokoffiev. Something seriously amiss there.

Still haven't figured out how to display the Mozart 25 Francs from the Democratic Republic of the Congo. That thing is huge at 5 1/4" in diameter and over 2 pounds.

On a side note and I don't know where to post this, a kind participant here on he board offered to help me locate for a coin at an international show in Europe (I believe) but I lost the post and unfortunately cleaned out my e-mail. If anyone recalls reading that post, I would appreciate a "heads up". Looking for Tonga KM 160 1993 with Richard Wagner...going on a few years now...sigh

Hope everyone is well!   Alan   Massachusetts

<k>

Quote from: alglasser on October 20, 2011, 02:21:16 AM
Jackson was very talented...no doubt about it...but his music was not my cup of tea at all. Guess I'm a bit of a musical snob.

Only song of his I ever play is "Earth Song", because it reminds me of "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues - in fact, I'm sure he stole the tune and varied it slightly. It has the same sort of ethereal feel.

Quote from: alglasser on October 20, 2011, 02:21:16 AM
Giving some thought to setting up a "contemporary musician/performer" sub-division as I have Elvis Presley in with Prokoffiev.

I do love Prokofiev's two violin concerti. The opening to the first movement of number one is sublime. I've never been able to make anything of his piano music, though. Prokofiev died in 1953, so in theory it would have been possible for him to meet Elvis, but before Elvis's days of fame.

Alan Glasser

Prokoffiev is a bit to contemporary for my taste...though some of the works that I have heard are "haunting". Jackson, I didn't like ANYTHING he did...but it's niot because of him, it's the type of music. I am definitely in the wrong century. In composition school, they called me the anacronism as I would write (still do) in 18th and 19th century styles.

My personal favorites, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff

Alan...musical snob...in MA

<k>

Jamaica $50 1995.jpg

Jamaica, 50 dollars, 1995.  Bob Marley.

dheer

India Rs 5 and Rs 100 Birth Centenary of Begum Akhtar

Rs 5 Coin

Rs 100 coin
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Oklahoman

Egypt has a coin with an extremely famous singer from the middle east by the name of Umm Kahlsuum.  I am positive I spelled that wrong.