Author Topic: Akbar dam, mint Sultanpur ilahi 30, Shahrewar.extremely rare  (Read 1386 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Akbar dam, mint Sultanpur ilahi 30, Shahrewar.extremely rare
« on: December 13, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »
Hi all,
I'm extremely excited to add this extremely rare mint.. The mint is Sultanpur as very clearly seen in this coin. The speciality of this mint is that this was the earliest mint to start minting ilahi coins. The date on this coin and other coins of this mint is ilahi 30, Shahrewar.Hardly 10 coins of this mint are known. A well known collector in Mumbai has 1/2 dam of this mint.

Sulta'npur, about ten miles north of Shahada in Nandurbar district of Maharashtra, is a ruined city, with an old fort and walls enclosing about a square mile. Its present name is said to date from 1306, when Malik Kafur, on his way to conquer the Deccan, stopped here for some time.[ Briggs' Ferishta, I. 366.] It continued part of Gujarat, till, in 1370, it was taken by Malik Raja (1870-1399) the first Faruki king of Khandesh. Malik's hold of it did not last long. Muzaffar the Gujarat king hastened to recover it, and Malik Raja was forced to abandon it and retire to Thalner. [Persian Ferishta, II. 543: Briggs, IV. 283].

Akbar annexed Khandesh in 1599AD from Bahadur Shah of Khandesh and Sultanpur became a sub-division or pargana in the Sirkar of Nazarbar(Nandurbar).

Do comment
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:40:39 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar dam, mint Sultanpur ilahi 30, Shahrewar.extremely rare
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
No words ... :)
There is one on Zeno with the date read as "Ilahi 40", according to your informations, it should be read as "30" ???
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=83536
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »
No words ... :)
There is one on Zeno with the date read as "Ilahi 40", according to your informations, it should be read as "30" ???
http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=83536
It is clearly Ilahi 30 in my opinion( although date is mentioned as Ilahi 40 on zeno). This mint is also among one of the topmost rare mints of Akbar copper.. Although the mint is known for such a long time but only say less than a dozen pieces are known. For this type only Ilahi 30(?40) and shahrewar is known for all specimen known..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »
@ Bernard sir,
There is another variety in sultanpur which is similiar to Burhanpur, Berar coins. The date is similiar Ilahi 30(?40) and month Aban. The pic is of a rare 1/2 dam. However dam is known but can't post it in public domain due to ownership issues.

Do comment
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:57:46 PM »
Any comment on the second type of sultanpur mint
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:32:44 PM »
1586 Akbar planned an invasion of Berar in support of a few discontented nobles of he

Ahmadnagar court. They had rebelled against Salabat Khan, the prime minister of Ahmadnagar and

had fled to Akbar's court. Khan Azam, the governor of Malva was ordered to attack Berar. Raja Ali

Khan now sided with Ahmadnagar and the combined forces of the two effectively cut the raiders off

their base and forced Khan Azam to beat a hasty retreat to Gujarat. While on his way to Gujarat he

suddenly came upon Sultanpur and Nandurbar. He plundered them and retired to Malva. The

armies of Khandes and Ahmadnagar then retired to their respective territories.

Thus historically ilahi 30 Shahrewar can be explained
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:36 PM »
I cannot judge the coins, but I can and do appreciate the write-up. This is a wonderful thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.