Author Topic: Starting Mughal collection with three Akbar dams. Please help identify!  (Read 3039 times)

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Hello All,

Finally took the plunge into Mughal coinage, after resisting expansion for many years. Started with a few common pieces to attribute and teach myself, but need your help to identify these pieces. Thanks!

Coin 1
Akbar dam, 983 AH. What is the mint? I think the first character of the mint name can be seen at 9 o'clock.
What does the text above the date read?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:55:21 PM by cmerc »
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Re: Please help identify three Akbar dams!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 04:46:11 AM »
Coin 2
Same mint as above?? Date?? Perhaps (9)96?
What is the text supposed to read on the left-hand-side image?

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 04:50:09 AM »
Coin 3
No idea on this one. I think I can see part of the date, but the mintname if probably off-flan. Can we recognize the mint/date from the design features?
Also, what does the text read on both sides?

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 07:05:21 AM »
Hi Avik
Extremely happy to know that you have taken the plunge to Mughal coinage. It is important at the outset to know that Mughal coins are not rare coins and you will get a lot of offers for coins( from coins as low as 1$ to 1000$ or more). Be clear on what you want to collect depending on your funds as mughal coinage is seemingly endless and it is impossible to collect all. Some collectors collect along mint lines(all emperor issue from a particular mint), metal wise (copper coinage or silver or gold coinage), emperor wise (pick your favourite mughal emperor and collect all mints of that emperor with representational coins of all emperor).... For mughal coinage keep in mind, mint is of utmost importance( go for coins with maximum mint on them), date and emperor's name with regnal year are important and these determine the rarity of coinage.. (Extremely sorry for giving unsolicited advise but do not commit the mistakes I commited and realised later)

As far as these coppers are concerened these may be Narnol or Bairat coppers with very little mint that can be read on them. Try to collect ones with mint on them( as complete mint as possible)

(P.S- If you are interested in coppers, buy copper coins of India by W.Valentine for 3-4$, It is a good text to start)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:08:16 PM by abhinumis »
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
Pretty good advice. I'd just like to add "relax and enjoy". This is not the sort of collection you can make representative in a few months, so patience is key. I understand from Amit that bulk purchases are not worthwhile. Probably a better option is hooking up with advanced collectors to get access to their duplicates when they upgrade.

It is tempting to collect the mint of a city near you. However, that puts you in competition with other collectors in your area. A more original choice may help save money. So do good references. Have you checked out the WoC bookshelf and the book lists yet?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:55:57 AM »
Coin 2What is the text supposed to read on the left-hand-side image?
the date in digits is cut at bottom, but over, you have it fully written in persian ("nuhsad  hashtad  haft" (from bottom to up), which gives 987.

same for your other coins :
coin 1 : "nuhsad  hashtad... (983 in digits)
coin 3 : "nuhsad nawad ...(99x)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
the date in digits is cut at bottom, but over, you have it fully written in persian ("nuhsad  hashtad  haft" (from bottom to up), which gives 987.

same for your other coins :
coin 1 : "nuhsad  hashtad... (983 in digits)
coin 3 : "nuhsad nawad ...(99x)

Thanks Bernard! But as Abhishek says, the mint is completely undecipherable, even from the design elements, right?

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 02:10:17 PM »
......, the mint is completely undecipherable, even from the design elements, right?
Well you could tentatively place them by style only to either Narnol / Narnaul or Bairata. A miniscule part of the mint name is seen at around 10 O Clock position. The other part that is seen is the word Falus

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
Hi Avik
Extremely happy to know that you have taken the plunge to Mughal coinage. It is important at the outset to know that Mughal coins are not rare coins and you will get a lot of offers for coins( from coins as low as 1$ to 1000$ or more). Be clear on what you want to collect depending on your funds as mughal coinage is seemingly endless and it is impossible to collect all. Some collectors collect along mint lines(all emperor issue from a particular mint), metal wise (copper coinage or silver or gold coinage), emperor wise (pick your favourite mughal emperor and collect all mints of that emperor with representational coins of all emperor).... For mughal coinage keep in mind, mint is of utmost importance( go for coins with maximum mint on them), date and emperor's name with regnal year are important and these determine the rarity of coinage.. (Extremely sorry for giving unsolicited advise but do not commit the mistakes I commited and realised later)

As far as these coppers are concerened these may be Narnol or Bairat coppers with very little mint that can be read on them. Try to collect ones with mint on them( as complete mint as possible)

(P.S- If you are interested in coppers, buy copper coins of India by W.Valentine for 3-4$, It is a good text to start)

Thanks Abhishek and Peter! Since these dams are rather crappy, perhaps it will be more interesting to discuss starting a Mughal collection (post title edited).

Abhishek, I was going to ask what to look for in Mughal coins, but you answered even before asking. You are already a step ahead! Once I have a good idea of how large the area is, and relative scarcity/prices, I will be able to formulate a strategy. It is good to understand that mint >> date/RY > emperor name. Thank you again.

Pretty good advice. I'd just like to add "relax and enjoy". This is not the sort of collection you can make representative in a few months, so patience is key. I understand from Amit that bulk purchases are not worthwhile. Probably a better option is hooking up with advanced collectors to get access to their duplicates when they upgrade.

It is tempting to collect the mint of a city near you. However, that puts you in competition with other collectors in your area. A more original choice may help save money. So do good references. Have you checked out the WoC bookshelf and the book lists yet?

Peter

I have realized that patience is the key! I will try to connect with fellow collectors, as you suggest. I also like the idea of collecting from my local Mughal mints. However, they say that Mughal coins of Connecticut mints are exceedingly rare  ;D

I started acquiring books from ~1 year ago. I have the following:
* Liddle - Akbar (could have been a better book)
* Liddle - Jehangir (again, could have been a better book)
* Valentine - copper coins of India (good!)
* Rahman - Babur (haven't received yet)
* SCWC: older Sound Asia only and more recent edition (not that useful)
* any others I have missed??

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
Well you could tentatively place them by style only to either Narnol / Narnaul or Bairata. A miniscule part of the mint name is seen at around 10 O Clock position. The other part that is seen is the word Falus

Amit

Thanks Amit ji! I bought these coins to help learn. The dates were tempting, but full mintnames are better!

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
For Narnol dams, Avik refer to this thread. http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?topic=13365.0. The coin has all the information that should be there on a Mughal copper (mint and date)
It was one of the first copper coins that I had of Akbar and that is where I had started. Perhaps looking for those answers that you are looking for now as you start..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
Great Narnol coin. I tried to transcribe it, can you please correct me? (in that thread)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:01:36 PM »
I also like the idea of collecting from my local Mughal mints. However, they say that Mughal coins of Connecticut mints are exceedingly rare

That's what they call all coins on eBay :) In practice, Kollecticutta coins are only slightly rarer than those of Gotham City or Ducktown.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.