Wise thoughts about numismatics/coin collecting

Started by Gusev, June 18, 2015, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusev

From J. Adrianov.

It is widely believed that everyone who collects coins is a numismatist.
I tried to make a brief classification of our community.

Classification Attempt:
1. Inexperienced/Lazy Collector.
2. The Collector.
3. Numismatist.

The inexperienced/Lazy Collector is the one who purchases coins without any system and without using special catalogs.
The acquisition of coins is the main task of the whole process. The study / determination of coins is not conducted or is conducted randomly.

The Сollector creates his collection according to some specific principle, trying to substantively show the chosen topic, to make the collection "speak".
It is very important for the collector to buy coins and search for the right coins for his personal collection.
For the Collector, the condition of the coins when buying is usually a priority,

Numismatist from a collector differs in setting goals. For Numismatist, the main thing is information. The number of coins in his personal collection, the condition of the coins and the price are not of primary importance. The value of a coin is determined only by the information component.
Numismatist seeks and creates original, previously unknown information or new findings from already known research.

Figleaf

Yes and no. The prototypes are recognisable, but they suggest three distinct classes, one better than the other. I would argue that reality is more complicated.

First, the classes are not distinct. Collectors can be several stages at the same time or they can move from one to the other. Some examples from personal experience: a year ago, I knew nothing about telephone tokens and I did research on Central Asian coins, I collected euro coins from circulation, but my want list wasn't up to date and I was re-organising my British bus/tram tokens. Now, I have done a large number of pages on WoT and a presentation on telephone tokens and I am still doing research on Central Asian coins, my euro coin collection looks less sloppy and the want list has improved somewhat after a quite successful visit to a Brussels coin shop and the bus/tram token collection has lost attention for lack of new stuff. Then and now, lack of new stuff also hampered my well-researched collection of Dutch coins and my under-researched French coins. I am currently starting to research Dutch gas distribution tokens. In other words, my collecting was in all three categories all the time.

Second and more important, coin collecting is voluntary and unpaid. It is not a job, but a way to spend your own time in your own way. That means that you can approach your hobby any way you want. If, like me, you don't want to put stuff on paper, but do like to build up something significant in a random way and over a period of time, that's just as good for you as writing a standard reference book or sloppy collecting. Don't get me wrong, the standard reference book is of great value to other collectors and a real contribution to collecting, knowledge and perhaps research or even a contribution to world peace, but if a sloppy collection makes the collector happy, so be it. Also, I am personally convinced that the more you know about the coin, the more you appreciate it, but I am not asking anyone to agree with me.

I short, people who collect for the chase, but wouldn't know what to do when the chase is over are just as much collector as people who can do without the coin as long as they have a high-res illustration.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

It's very simple to me. You collect what you like for what ever reason.

I've always had eclectic tastes, acquiring what ever struck my fancy at any given time. Labels such as numismatist, collector, accumulator, etc. are meaningless . It's just no concern of mine.

I've had this "condition" for about 65 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it. Enjoyment is the bottom line to all this. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Gusev

I agree with Peter and Bruce.
Of course, reality is more complicated.
And we have pleasure and even enjoyment from our hobby.

But everyone starts with the simplest and then only two ways:
1. Finish this hobby
2. Develop with the collection.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.

Figleaf

You are quite right, Igor. Most people start with leftover coins from trips abroad. Nothing wrong with that, but if you get stuck there, you miss almost all of the fun. Also, it doesn't end with coins and collecting. I have been in fantastic places, such as museum reserves, seen exquisite numismatic items and met unforgettable friends and most amazing experts through coins.

And still, nothing tickles me as much as a collector advancing, going from hoarder to collector, learning a different script or going from collector to researcher. So here is my contribution to this thread: seeing a collector advance in his/her hobby is like seeing a good friend win the lottery.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

For their own safety, coins get locked up, people get locked down.

Peter

Gusev

Quote from: Figleaf on July 14, 2020, 10:57:57 AM
For their own safety, coins get locked up, people get locked down.

Peter

Like.
Locked down / Lockdown.
It's a pun?

Figleaf

Yes, it's one of the inconsistencies of English, like being in front of the television but behind the computer.

Peter

gpimper

The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

Kind of silly I guess. I'm guilty of buying money all the time. My wife on the other hand just spends it and doesn't understand why I rarely buy anything but coins. Silly girl!  ???

Bruce

Always Faithful

Figleaf

Putting the same or no design on both sides of a USB connector should be punishable by a spanking from your mother (it's for your own good) or father (this will hurt you more than it will hurt me). :hammer:

OK, OK, it's only indirectly about coin collecting ;)

Peter

Figleaf

If a date is garbled on a coin in Latin script, it is an interesting error; if a date is garbled on a coin in Arabic script, it is calligraphy.

Peter

Gusev

Quote from: Figleaf on July 30, 2021, 09:54:06 PM
If a date is garbled on a coin in Latin script, it is an interesting error; if a date is garbled on a coin in Arabic script, it is calligraphy.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Tirant

What a great thread and soooo true thoughts!! ;D ;D

A coin is like a mullet: the only one who has to like it is its owner.

Don't believe the seller who describes a crappy piece of copper as beautiful; dont't listen your wife when she says that your beautiful old coins are just crap.

Tirant

Gusev

Quote from: Tirant on December 07, 2021, 08:49:23 AM
What a great thread and soooo true thoughts!! ;D ;D

A coin is like a mullet: the only one who has to like it is its owner.

Don't believe the seller who describes a crappy piece of copper as beautiful; dont't listen your wife when she says that your beautiful old coins are just crap.

Tirant

Thanks,
These are fresh thoughts.  :applause: