Author Topic: Shah Jahan: Gold Mohur, Lahore, AH 1040 RY 4, Unlisted in KM  (Read 613 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Shah Jahan, Gold Mohur, Lahore, 10.82g, AH 1040 RY 4, Circle & 3-line Kalima type, unlisted in KM

Can someone tell me whether this coin is R, RR or RRR in the rarity index? My view is 'Extremely Rare' but welcome others view.

In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Online THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Shah Jahan: Gold Mohur, Lahore, AH 1040 RY 4, Unlisted in KM
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »
Don't know about rarity. But its AAA on the scale of Amazingly  :o !

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
There is no fixed rarity scale everyone agrees to. That is one reason why all coins on eBay are RRRRRRRRRR. :o

A very remarkable coin, designed and struck with great care (well centralised) and a little too much force - see reverberations on the right. The poor minter wanted to make sure the coin would be nice and sharp. Let's forgive him.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:17:26 PM »
A very remarkable coin, designed and struck with great care (well centralised) and a little too much force - see reverberations on the right. The poor minter wanted to make sure the coin would be nice and sharp.

But not the engraver....the circular legend looks to me somewhat crude with approximations in the scripts, which is surprising for a mohur; they were usually engraved and struck with great care ???

I could be wrong, but for me, it could be a non official coin ??? that could be also the reason why it isn't recorded in KM (so that in Lahore museum catalogue)....
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)