2015 coins in circulation

Started by Candy, April 04, 2015, 08:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candy

I just got my first 2015 dated coin and ironically it was totally free, someone left 89p in the self service check out at Sainsbury`s and one of the coins was a 2015 penny with the IRB portrait.

Alan71

Interesting.  This suggests it might be like 2008, ie. two versions of each denomination issued.  I hope not, I hope it's just the lower denominations that are needed earlier in the year (the 1p is usually issued around now).

I am in Guernsey right now, and I've seen more 1992-dated 10p coins (UK version) than I have done back home for quite a while. Presumably the Royal Mint's recovery of cupro-nickel isn't being extended to the Channel Islands.

Candy

Quote from: Alan71 on April 05, 2015, 04:37:46 PM
Interesting.  This suggests it might be like 2008, ie. two versions of each denomination issued.  I hope not, I hope it's just the lower denominations that are needed earlier in the year (the 1p is usually issued around now).

I am in Guernsey right now, and I've seen more 1992-dated 10p coins (UK version) than I have done back home for quite a while. Presumably the Royal Mint's recovery of cupro-nickel isn't being extended to the Channel Islands.

Good to hear from someone in Guernsey. Are there Guernsey nickel plated steel 5p and 10p coins in circulation ?

Alan71

I was just on holiday in Guernsey, but no, not many nickel-plated coins in circulation.  All the 5p and 10p coins I encountered were older ones.  Plenty of UK and Guernsey 1992-dated 10p coins.  It made a nice change, I'm getting a bit bored of the nickel-plated 10p and 5p coins in the UK. 

When did nickel-plating start?  The most recent Guernsey (or Jersey) 5p and 10p coins are dated 2012 and started to be issued towards the end of that year.  I didn't get any 2012 Guernsey coins in change.

Candy

Quote from: Alan71 on April 08, 2015, 12:41:37 AM
I was just on holiday in Guernsey, but no, not many nickel-plated coins in circulation.  All the 5p and 10p coins I encountered were older ones.  Plenty of UK and Guernsey 1992-dated 10p coins.  It made a nice change, I'm getting a bit bored of the nickel-plated 10p and 5p coins in the UK. 

When did nickel-plating start?  The most recent Guernsey (or Jersey) 5p and 10p coins are dated 2012 and started to be issued towards the end of that year.  I didn't get any 2012 Guernsey coins in change.

Nickel plating started in early 2012 with 2011 dated 5p and 10p coins, thats interesting news about Guernsey coins , so its most likely Guernsey has had very low or no mintages recently and they are probably not doing a recovery programme there.

tonyclayton

I had not seen this thread, but got my first 2015 coin(a penny) today. No doubt we will have both portraits in due course.

Alan71

I got a 2015 penny the other day, too, but not in great condition.  I'm surprised there haven't been sightings of 2015 5p and 10p yet.  Presumably the issue limits of the 2014 coins haven't been reached yet.  Still getting bright, shiny new nickel-plated steel coins with last year's date.

Candy

Quote from: Alan71 on April 26, 2015, 02:42:36 AM
  I'm surprised there haven't been sightings of 2015 5p and 10p yet.  Presumably the issue limits of the 2014 coins haven't been reached yet.  Still getting bright, shiny new nickel-plated steel coins with last year's date.

Yeah , usually in the past couple of years it has been the 5p`s which have turned up as the first coins of the year . I strongly suspect the Royal Mint minted a tonne of 2014 5p and 10p coins as they seem to turn up everywere I buy at the moment  >:D

Yesterday afternoon I got a 2015 2p at a small store.

africancoins

I got my first 2015 coin in change today. It is a 2 Pence 2015 with the portrait by IRB.

Eyes peeled for a Penny next...  then the rest....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Alan71

I have also now got my first 2015 2p in change today.  Yesterday, I got some new 2014 2p coins in change so I'm guessing that the last of the 2014s and first of the 2015s are being issued at the same time.

The source of the 2015 2p was Aldi!  They seem to always have quite a few new coins in their tills.  I got both 2014 £2 commemoratives from there.

Candy

Quote from: africancoins on April 27, 2015, 10:58:23 PM
I got my first 2015 coin in change today. It is a 2 Pence 2015 with the portrait by IRB.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

The 2015 2p`s with the IRB portrait are probably going to have a very low mintage similar to the situation with the 2008 2p with the feathers which are incredibly hard to get anywhere. in many years to come I predict people will struggle to find them. I will hang on to the good shiny ones for now until the mintage figures next year.

Alan71

^^ Yes, although the Ironside 2008 10p, 50p and £1 were issued in smaller numbers than the 2p (10.6 million), that coin is hard to find.  I think it was one of the last old design 2008s that I got in change.

paddyirish

Have had abut a dozen 5ps and 2 or 3 1ps so far- all IRB portraits.  No sign of 2ps in Scotland yet.

Candy

Quote from: paddyirish on May 17, 2015, 12:13:22 PM
Have had abut a dozen 5ps and 2 or 3 1ps so far- all IRB portraits.  No sign of 2ps in Scotland yet.

Isnt this ironic ? A day after I read your good news about this years 5p coins in Scotland I got a couple in change down here in merry England !  ;D

africancoins

I got my first 2015 five pence the other day... So up to now 2015 is a bit slow for me.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker