Author Topic: Ratio between highest and lowest denomination  (Read 1037 times)

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
Ratio between highest and lowest denomination
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
Not many countries can boast of a ratio of 200 between highest and lowest denomination coins ( European Union being an aberration).

Never thought of that, actually, considered it pretty normal, even now when I think of other countries. Croatia got 2500 ratio! Although, these Al coins are not really used, never were much. Russia, since recently, also 2500. I think ratio up to 500-1000 is pretty common, most of the other European countries have it, too.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Ratio between highest and lowest denomination
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 03:48:12 PM »
As per my records, Croatia has ratio of 500 with reference to set. Coins above 5 kuna are Commems.
In my last visit to Croatia, 1 Lipa and 2 Lipe were not to be found.
Russia does not use 1 and 5 kopeck and hence ration is 100 only. 25 Roubles were Sochi Olympics commem.

Only in one place could I find more than 200 in circulation and that was North Korea but then it is a unique monetary system in itself.

I would be happy if you can give actual example of countries wit definitive coins with ratio above 200.
Kindly do not give UK since 1 p and 2 p coins are mere decoration pieces and there is a separate thread discussing their discontinuation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:11:40 AM by Pabitra »

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
Re: Ratio between highest and lowest denomination
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »
As per my records, Croatia has ratio of 500 with reference to set. Coins above 5 kuna are Commems.
In my last visit to Croatia, 1 Lipa and 2 Lipe were not to be found.
Russia does not use 1 and 5 kopeck and hence ration is 100 only. 25 Roubles were Sochi Olympics commend.

Both 25 kuna and Sochi 25 roubles are commemoratives but also very much circulation pieces. Now these small denominations are really rarely used, but nevertheless still considered as part of circulation series. We maybe should open another topic to see further examples of big ratios.