Author Topic: AE Stater of Sankaravarman of Kashmir  (Read 1933 times)

Offline coinlover

AE Stater of Sankaravarman of Kashmir
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:52:41 AM »
This is an AE Stater of Sankaravarman (883 - 901 AD) of Utpala dynasty of Kashmir.

Diameter = 18 mm.
Weight = 6.24 gm.
Obverse: Enthroned Ardoxsho facing; Nagari legend: Sanka(ra). Very rare
Reverse: King standing. Nagari legend: Vermma

Sankara Vermma was the second of the Utpala dynasty. He succeeded his father Avanti Vermma in A.D. 883. He was a warlike prince and after having quelled an insurrection headed by his cousin, he proceeded with an army of 900,000 infantry, 100,000 cavalry, and 300 elephants (one-tenth of which may perhaps be the true number), to make foreign conquests. Having subdued the kingdom of Trigerta (Kotoch or Kangra), he advanced to Gurjara (Gujrat), which he likewise conquered ; and having thus made himself formidable to all his neighbours, he returned to Kashmir. He then gave up the noble ambition of a soldier's life for the sordid excitement of avarice, and began hoarding treasure, which he accumulated by every species of extortion. Afterwards, in an expedition beyond the Indus, he was shot in the neck by a mountaineer, and died in A.D. 901.

Source : THE ANCIENT COINAGE OF KASHMIR WITH CHRONOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL NOTES, FROM THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE CHRISTIAN ERA TO THE CONQUEST OF THE COUNTRY BY THE MOGULS Author(s): Lieutenant A. Cunningham and Bengal Engineers , The Numismatic Chronicle and Journal of the Numismatic Society,Vol. 6 (APRIL, 1843–JANUARY, 1844), pp. 1-38

This coin is considered as "Very rare".

Anjan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:44:54 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: AE Stater of Gopalavarman of Kashmir
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Are you sure ? The first character does not resemble the "Go" aksara, so i have some doubts on this attribution. (But it's a nice coin !)

Offline coinlover

Re: AE Stater of Gopalavarman of Kashmir
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »
You are very right, I have made a mistake in attributing this gem. I am correcting myself. Thanks.

Anjan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: AE Stater of Sankaravarman of Kashmir
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the update and interesting backgroundstory with this coin !

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:22:51 PM »
Here is an AE Stater coin of king Sankaravarman of Utpala Dynasty of Ancient Kashmir. This is in my collection..I got it from a very old collector.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 05:46:03 PM »
I have never seen a specimen where the name is so complete and well readable. A real gem !

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
Thank You Anthony Sir. This was in fact my first Ancient Kashmir coin. I picked it up for a paltry sum from a dealer who said Nandigupta. Much later only i came to know this is Sankaravarman.

Offline RG

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
A small update..I was tempted by a friend who saw this Sankaravarman coin and prompted me for treating this coin with olive oil for a couple of weeks and here's the result. Unfortunately, I liked the original condition in comparison and now regrets my action....bottom pictures before cleaning and top pictures after cleaning... :(

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
Details have become a bit better. The green patina looks like it is stable, but there might be ongoing corrosion.  It is now easier to keep an eye on the surface condition. If you do not like the surface color you could put some brown antique wax (Renwax) on it, also gives some protection.

Offline Spaniard

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 10:54:16 PM »
Here's my recent upgrade of Sankara.....Paul

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
TFP, Paul. I find it very helpful for these coins to see a number of specimen together, to guide the eye on each of them. On this particular series, I am amazed by the likeness of Kashmiri and Tamil coins: standing figure on one side, cross-legged seating figure on the other side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Palomares

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 08:31:54 PM »
Other Sankara Varma  ;)