Author Topic: Aurangzeb, Rupee. Mint: Dar al Khilafat Shahjehanabad  (Read 2182 times)

Offline coin_lover

Aurangzeb, Rupee. Mint: Dar al Khilafat Shahjehanabad
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »
My latest coin of Aurangzeb -1695 AD.This is a 1 rupee silver coin. Looks mint condition. The print is nicely engraved.
Just 1 question though it may sound quiet naive if this is a silver coin why does it appear black? Though I must admit the blackness is addig beauty to it

Offline coin_lover

Re: my latest coin of Mughals
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
Peter I hope I have taken good photos this time  :)

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 01:35:14 AM »
Dear Tipu,

Certainly, your images are very good. But to look them better, you can CROP the unnecessary part, as I have done. This will also reduce the image size considerably.

the blackness on the silver coins is due to the oxidation of Silver due to impurities in the air, particularly sulphur  oxides. This process is called PATINA.

More on the oxidation on this thread:

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,20315.0.html
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,5586.0.html
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,17558.0.html

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
Your photos are getting better at astonishing speed, tipu. Very nice coin btw. Have you figured out the exact date and the mint? How much of the text can you read? Abhay's explanation of the black is perfectly good. I can add only that sulphur in the air is typical of a place where coal is burnt for energy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:33:14 PM »
thanks a lot Abhay, very useful tip.
I know the date is 1107 Hijri which is 1695 AD. The mint is Shahjahanabaad.
I cannot read the next but my dad says it is got the name of Aurangzeb on it. I don't know what the text reads

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:46:58 PM »
There's help here. This sort of help is wonderfully indexed here. ;)

If you can read the date 1107, you can find out which moghul it was here. Add the regnal year (it is most often not on the same side as the date) to the first year of the reign and check if you get 1107. Mind that the regnal year does not start the same day as the calendar year. Exact reign dates are in Wikipedia.

With that, you should be able to describe the whole coin. Have fun!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 08:07:34 PM »
Thanks again Peter, I was right about the name of the ruler and mint. Now I also now what the observe says.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
Excellent, tipu! Congratulations. You now belong to a small fraction of the global population who can figure out a Mughal rupee. Unfortunately, they are not all as clearly legible as this one.

Peter

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Re: Aurangzeb, Rupee. Mint: Dar al Khilafat Shahjehanabad
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »
The beauty of mughal coins comes out when full die is visible which is quite rare! Here is a complete large flan rupee .. Compare with the good coin posted by Tipu to make out the difference..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »
Thanks Peter. Nice coin abhinumis, it looks like I have been lucky to get such a good coin  :) and also without those ugly looking shorff marks

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 07:31:39 PM »
thanks a lot Abhay, very useful tip.
I know the date is 1107 Hijri which is 1695 AD. The mint is Shahjahanabaad.
I cannot read the next but my dad says it is got the name of Aurangzeb on it. I don't know what the text reads

I just don't understand why the new generation of collectors don't bother reading a book?!??  Especially when the book is free.  You rarely need to read cover-to-cover and the answer to most questions are within 5 to 10 minutes of reading. 

The first thing I did when I first started collecting was to pick up a copy of the Red Book.  After drooling over the images for days, I went and bought my first coin and that was THREE DECADES ago!   I get several PM from people asking me if a coin is legit or if the seller is selling fakes.  Why not pick up a book?  The answer, for the most part, is there and you don't have to worry about burning a hole in your pocket.  One guy wrote to me to say he bought over 10K Rupees of coins from one seller on Ebay.in, but most of the coins the guy sold was fake!!  Going over some of the coins that have been posted on coinnetwork.com is the same problem.  Some can be easily spotted as fakes while others are more difficult. 
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 10:14:25 PM »
It's a good point, QG, but times have changed. That will get worse as you get older ;) I have had an excellent course in how to look things up in one of the worst universities of the Netherlands, the University of Amsterdam. My children never got anything like it. I gave them all the Carmen Sandiego games I could find, without the documentation (cruel, I know, but they managed). I got them a paper encyclopedia (wikipedia had not yet been invented), a couple of dictionaries and some etymological dictionaries for each language they knew or were learning. I encouraged them to look everything up. Having caught out the teachers wrong and their parents ignorant, looking stuff up became a game they liked.

Today, that would no longer work. According to the present generations, all the answers are on the net. Even electronic books are consulted only to answer ad-hoc questions. You can argue that the knowledge acquired in this way is loose sand, without cohesion or depth, but you are fighting windmills. These generations have little use for books. Don't deplore it, go with the flow, I would say. Give them as many tools and routines as possible to look things up. They'll have to do the rest themselves and, for their punishment, they will one day wonder in turn why today's youth doesn't do what they have done at their age. :D

Peter

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
I am not that old (mid-40s) and I can understand that information is at your fingertips.  Heck, information has been at my fingertips since the mid-80s as I have been online for that long! But there are two fundamental problems here:

1) People who are collecting coins who don't know what a hobby is and refuse to spend the time to get the information when it is readily available.  I can not read Arabic nor Balinese nor Greek but I spend the time and transcribe the coins easily since the information is readily available. It doesn't take days, but a few hours at the most.  Remember a hobby is a past-time which means you need to spend TIME.  It does not mean buy some coins and throw it into the drawer and forget about it...

2) People who collect coins and don't even know why they are collecting.  I don't even know what to do about this crowd.  They say they like history, but don't want to know the history behind a coin.  They say they like the calligraphy, but don't want to know what is written. 

Grrrrrr!!!!!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »
That is very much agreed, but not the case here. Tipu is full of enthusiasm and developing his skills and his taste. That said, I would go even slightly beyond your plea: if you are prepared to spend money on a coin, you should, according to my taste, at the minimum be prepared to find out everything about anything on the coin, from the first word to the last symbol. You should also provide a good home for the coin: know about constructing a collection, restoration, storage, maintenance, fakes and imitations. In fact, I like to know even about the striking method, the wear and damage on the coin.

The point is just that this is not something you learn in a day, but that's an important reason why we have this site. It provides help for those who need it and new chances to learn or practice skills for advanced collectors. It's more important that people learn than how they learn.

Personally, I like to go one step further and reflect on the economic and financial background of the coin also. Others prefer e.g. the historical and political or artistic and cultural background and they find me a happy reader. That's not for everybody. Many of us stick with the coin (or token) itself, which is a personal choice. Anyway, one look at your medieval coins index and I know we're on the same wavelength. :-*

Peter

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 12:54:05 AM »
The comment wasn't target to Tipu, per say, but the general audience.  Of course, as a beginner, things takes time and for the short time Tipu has been here, he has progressed tremendously.  But you need to be open to learn and flourish.  Buying Indian coins on impulse when you are not educated enough on ebay.in is just plain stupid!  Even if you are thinking about buying a coin on impulse on ebay.in, you have more than enough time to research the coin to see if it is legit or not.

Finding information is also difficult as well and this forum definitely helps.  The bookshelf is a great idea and I'll be posting several more books in the near future.  But if you don't even look at the information, it does you no good.  Consider the member who posted over 10 posts at various times trying to identify the same type of French Arcot Rupee!!!  Makes you wonder if the person was really a collector or a hoarder...