Author Topic: Creation of the new Indian rupee symbol  (Read 15624 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Creation of the new Indian rupee symbol
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 11:54:26 AM »
........ One issue, however, that I have with many currency symbols that consist of several different parts - $, £, €, ¥, etc. - is that you cannot (hand-)write them as easily as you produce a regular "Latin" character ...

Christian
Well, if you write the local Nagri characters, it is just a normal 'Ra' with an added line.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Salvete

• Honorary Member
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
Well, I like the new symbol, anyway.  Combines the essential elements in a simple, memorable and easily recognised mark.  I, too, hope that the relevant symbol can be made available via a standard keyboard.  Nice one, Mr Technician!

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
Ah yes, I had not realized that only the lower horizontal line needs to be drawn separately. So the (hand-written) rupee symbol has only two "different" elements. Good. :)

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
Ah yes, I had not realized that only the lower horizontal line needs to be drawn separately. So the (hand-written) rupee symbol has only two "different" elements. Good. :)

Christian

To return to your previous comment about currency symbols being harder to write than normal Roman letters, that's not true of the £ or $ signs, which also require two strokes of the pen, presuming you give them only one horizontal (£) or vertical ($) stroke. I agree that with the $ sign it's more difficult to get the vertical centred in a pleasing way over the S when writing quickly, but I guess that's down to practice, and being British I don't find I need to write $ that often. The flip side is that being British I do write £ frequently, and find it a more flowing character to produce than many capital letters, such as E, which it resembles.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
I saw the new symbol for INR used in advertising, but nowhere else, but I was hardly immersed in daily life as a tourist.

The old symbol for the gulden, ƒ, is a good example of one that is easy to write, but it has become as superfluous as the $ in Portugal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
'Rs' selection process challenged in High Court
Harish V Nair, Hindustan Times
New Delhi, November 23, 2010

First Published: 21:36 IST(23/11/2010)
Last Updated: 02:25 IST(24/11/2010)

Four months after it was approved, the new symbol for the Indian Rupee, designed by IIT-ian Uday Kumar, is back in news for different reasons. An RTI activist has moved Delhi High Court challenging the selection process and the public competition organised by the finance ministry to choose the symbol, terming it “full of discrepancies” and “flawed”.

The petition, filed by Rakesh Kumar, who participated in the competition, names the finance ministry and Usha Thorat, chairman of jury in the Indian Rupee Symbol Selection Committee, as respondents.

The matter is to be taken up by the court soon.

The Centre’s defence counsel Jatan Singh denied all the charges and said complete transparency had been followed in the selection procedure. He said there were 2,696 entries of which 226 were short-listed. Five made it to the final rounds and the website was updated regularly with all details.

He said the process that had started in February last year culminated after the Union Cabinet selected the entry by Uday Kumar in July 2010.

In his petition, Rakesh Kumar claims the selection process was in utter violation of the prescribed finance ministry guidelines of ‘public competition’.

He alleged that winner Uday Kumar had submitted four designs against the maximum two allowed, and the chosen selection is just an imitation of the symbols for the Yen and the Euro. “Participants were told the symbol should be in the Indian national language script”, he contended.

Source: Hindustan Times

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 01:32:58 AM »
RTI Activist exposed : Mismanagement and violation of guidelines in “Indian Rupee Symbol” design competition.

According to RTI Documents :

1.Non-eligible candidate was shortlisted in top five finalists as candidate had submitted four designs [Here is Proof] and later on declared as winner.
2.One finalist was in contact with Finance Ministry and RBI prior to competition.
3.Design concept or brief was not put in front of jury along with Indian Rupee symbol design. RTI - Q. 7
4.No marks or grades were allotted to selected (2644) candidates design entries, in the process of shortlisting top five finalist design entries.RTI - Q. 16 D
5.Jury had spends less than 20 seconds on each design entries to analyze it . Hindustan Times
6.Three jury member were absent in two days long meeting dated 29th Sept. and 30th Sept. 2009.RTI Q. 3
7.One jury member from Ministry of Culture was absent on the day of final presentation. RTI Q. 4
8.All seven jury member had never meet in this whole selection process in any given time.
9.No records are available with Finance Ministry which could indicated, how many total design entries Finance Ministry had received ?RTI Q. 5
10.Advertisement was only published in English language which only 23% population of this country understand. RTI Q. 7

Source:Save Indian Rupee Symbol

Govt. also knew that D Udaya Kumar (DMK leader son) was a Non-eligible candidate for the competition as he had submitted four design while only two was allowed. But under pressure from DMK he won the competition.

And that’s why now Govt. doesn’t want to endorse this symbol of corruption anymore. It seems usage of Rupee symbol is under hold at present.
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
Interesting. Time for a new contest maybe?

Christian