Kingdom of Hawaii

Started by <k>, November 13, 2014, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

There is no topic on Hawaii as yet. Who can tell us something about this coin?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Hawaii, dime, 1883.

<k>

Hawaii, half dollar, 1883.

<k>

Hawaii, dollar, 1883.  A very intricate coat of arms, with supporters.

Afrasi

I know not much about that coinage, but it was withdrawn in 1937 and mostly melted. I can make the series complete with the Quarter Dollar.
1/8 Dollar and 5 Cents were only patterns.

Afrasi

Just found this token from 1951. I always wanted to visit Honolulu to meet this girl, but I guess in the meantime she looks different ...  ;D

Figleaf

The Hawaiian Islands were formed into a state by Kamehameha the great (1795-1810). It used the usual mixture of foreign coins, mostly Spanish colonial and US coins. From 1860, Hawaiian plantation tokens are known, denominated in Spanish colonial or US denominations.

Hawaii issued two series of coins during its short-lived independence. The first is the hapa haneri (one cent, should have been hapa hanele) 1847 with the portrait of Kamehameha III (1825-1854). This king turned Hawaii into a democratic state with a moderate constitution.

The second series has the same specifications as US coinage. It consists of a dime, quarter, half dollar and dollar with the portrait of king David Kalakaua. It was struck in the San Francisco mint in 1883. The legend "Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono" stands for something like: the life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness

In 1893, queen Liliuokalani (1891-1893) was deposed on a pretext by a group of (mostly) American inhabitants of the islands. In 1898, the islands were annexed by the US during the Spanish-American war. The local coinage was withdrawn. The 1847 cent imitations are tourist souvenirs dating from around 1960.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Thanks, both. Another curiosity is the Hawaiian flag. It sometimes fools Britons into thinking that Hawaii was once part of the British Empire.

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on November 14, 2014, 12:01:42 PM
The legend "Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono" stands for something like: the life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness

It was also used on the 2008 Hawaii state quarter by the way. As for the flag, here is some information, or speculation, about why it is used - "a remnant of the period in Hawaiian history when it was associated with the British Empire." :)

Christian

Figleaf

That "remnant of the period in Hawaiian history when it was associated with the British Empire" probably refers to the "Paulet affair". While serving on the Pacific Station, Lord George Paulet obtained a brief measure of infamy when he occupied the Hawaiian Islands for five months in 1843. The occupation was reversed by his commanding officer, Admiral Richard Darton Thomas. Thomas is a Hawaiian hero.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

I lived there for six yeas...sad I didn't think to try to collect some of those.  Neat coins.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

They are hard to get and expensive...the coins that is. The token is easy.
Much more likely to get one in the states or online more like that in Hawaii.
Dale

Quote from: gpimper on June 26, 2019, 06:09:11 AM
I lived there for six yeas...sad I didn't think to try to collect some of those.  Neat coins.

idiotghost

I was there for 6 days on the islands of Maui & Kauai, 2 weeks back in Hawaii. Wish I knew about these coins, would have tried to find in local marketplace or with old natives there.

A decade back I had visited the erstwhile Portugese Colony of Diu in Western India. Would have asked atleast 100+ odd locals if they had pre-independence Portugese coins! Finally 1 old newspaper vendor, native to Diu for more then 50 years, gave me 3 old Portugese Indian coins. I almost missed my bus to get those 3 precious coins..

On the flip side, visit to USA has sparked my hunt for 50 State quarters & the Beautiful Quarters series! Got 1 Hawaii quarter dollar.

Off Topic: Is anyone collecting the full USA quarters, 106+ released till date from 2000s? I'm at mid 50s currently.

gpimper

We've been working on it for years :-)  Three to go.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

That's a beautiful collection, Greg. Did you ever get the other three?

Bruce
Always Faithful