Author Topic: Akbar, AE Dam, Bahraich mint  (Read 1029 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Akbar, AE Dam, Bahraich mint
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
A nice bold strike on this dam, no sign of the date
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, AE Dam, Bahraich mint
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:15:05 PM »
Isn't that a six?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Isn't that a six?

Peter

I doubt it as it's so small, there are other shapes fitted in here & there also which I'm not sure the purpose of unless they are accents of the words, it needs someone like Overlord to tell us
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:11:17 AM »
Excellent pick capn.  The Date is seen in words. On these coins the date in digits was above the unit date in words and almost invariably is not seen on the coin.

From Bottom up it reads:

Fi Tarikh / Naushad (900) / Haftad (80) / xxxxx (a small partof the word is seen). Saro / Overlord / Abhinumis Please help.

The six that Peter sees seems to be a decoration since the RY was not mentioned on coins till the time this coin was minted (RY's were introduced as a replacement of the Ilahi date on the coins after the Ilahi dates were scrapped, after Akbar) and the Ilahi era (which in any case never had a single digit date) had not yet dawned.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
a beautiful coin !
I agree with Capn and asm about the small sign : it isn't a digit of a date, may be an ornament? as it is too small for an orthographic sign (zabar) which should be written over "suad" of "nuhsad" (to give nuhsad and not nuhsd) and often forgotten [I join 2 ex of these signs, the usual form is a stroke (Agra dam), the "V" like is less common (Lucknow dam)]
For the date, the very lower part of the last word is too short to determine it, but something which can be said is that I think  it couldn't be 1, 2, 4 or 9, so 983, 985, 986, 987 or 988 are possible...
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:30:01 AM »
In addition...at 1 o'clock there is a single dot over "ha"of "hashtad", I wonder which word it could belong to?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)