News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Tunnel Token

Started by Henk, November 09, 2014, 12:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Please help to identify the following token:
Size 17 mm, copper
O: Tunnel
R: 23.

This token is listed as no 35716 in: Neumann, Beschreibung der Bekanntesten Kupfermünzen (Prag 1872), Part VI. With the remark: Sammlung des Herrn Thieme. It is in the Chapter: Uneingereihte Teserre.

I would like to know date of use and country/city of origin. Any suggestions?

Afrasi

As the tunnel must be older than the book and railway tunnels should not have such tokens, there are not so much candidates I know of:

D Schifffahrtstunnel in Weilburg an der Lahn (1847)
F Malpas-Tunnel for the Canal du Midi (ca 1680), Mauvages-Tunnel at the Canal de la Marne au Rhin (1847)
CH Urnerloch near Andermatt (1708)
A Sigmundstor in Salzburg (1765)
GB Sapperton-Canal-Tunnel at the Thames & Severn Canal (1789), Norwood-Tunnel (1775), Thames Tunnel (1843), Standedge-Tunnel at the Huddersfield-Narrow-Canals (1842), Harecastle Tunnels (1777 and 1827)

There are probably a few more, but these I found quickly.

maxmissy

You can eliminate the Malpas tunnel on the canal du midi from your list : A toll was never perceived in this tunnel. A kind of toll is described by a legend : Any young sailor passing through the tunnel for the 1st time had to offer a meal to the hermit who was living in the tunnel. That's all !
A toll was perceived to use the canal : For example, a law from " 21 Vendémiaire an V - Republican calendar "  ( October 12th, 1796 ) described all the rates applied to different materials ( ex : ..... 0,267 F / ton for tiles, slates, hay, straw, etc....)

Have  a look ( sorry, it's in french ) : http://www.canaldumidi.com/Biterrois/Malpas/Malpas.php

Apart from that, the style of this token does not look french ; I do not understand what does mean " 23. ". I do not think it is a toll value
There are several " do not " in my answer, it does not help so much, but that's all that I can say....

Figleaf

I thing the style of the capital T is German (and Thieme is a sound German name), so I had an extensive look at the tunnel in Weilburg an der Lahn, but found even no evidence that they used a toll - it was constructed relatively late.

Like maxmissy, I think this might not be a tunnel token. The problem is that "tunnel"is not a good search word.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Afrasi

Perhaps a military token?

"23." could in German stand well for 23rd (Compagnie/Regiment/...)
"Tunnel" could well be the nick name of a mess.