Author Topic: Kashmir Kaserah of Sultan Muhammad Shah, fixed date AH 874  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Kashmir Kaserah of Sultan Muhammad Shah, fixed date AH 874
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »
I'm new to this site. I'd like to share my love of coins with you and hope to "meet" some of you in the process.  I'm Rangnath, or Richie. I'm from Portland, Oregon.

While deficient in training, experience and intellectural support (mentors, books, guides..), my primary numismatic passions are in collecting and identifying coins from Bhutan, Nepal, Tibet and the Indian sub-continent.  I love to study history, religion and culture.  Coin collecting is one way in which I do this.

Recently, a friend of mine in Poland sent me a coin which he thought was "Sikh".  It doesn't appear to be from the Sikh Empire, but I can not decipher it.  Can you help?
Thanks,
Richie
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:34:33 PM by capnbirdseye »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: An ancient Indian Coin?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:03:07 PM »
Hello Rangnath,

Is your coin silver or copper? It seems silver, but the picture could be greyscale also. What's the approximate diameter?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:26:35 PM »
The scan was in gray scale of a coin that is 18mm in diameter. It is not silver.
richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 11:33:40 PM »
This is a copper Kaserah from Kashmir, struck in the name of Sultan Muhammad Shah with frozen date AH 874. Muhammad Shah's reign span is AH 889-943 (AD 1484-1537) and consists of five separate periods. Ref: Goron/Goenka K46.

In Muhamad Shah's time, Hindus were fervently persecuted and killed, while the country was plundered by the rich. This caused quite a few rebellions, repressed with much further bloodshed, cruelty and destruction of Hindu places of worship.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:39:49 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:49:41 AM »
Thanks Peter. Kashmir continues to have quite a complicated history.
Richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 01:11:08 AM »
True, and little of it is cause for joy.

Read more here.

Peter