Author Topic: Akbar, AR rupee , Sitpur, Ilahi 48, Mihr, KM-94.4.  (Read 1131 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Akbar, AR rupee , Sitpur, Ilahi 48, Mihr, KM-94.4.
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
Akbar, AR rupee (11.32g), Sitpur, Ilahi 48,  month of Mihr, KM-94.4, beautifully toned and a nicely centered  example of this type which is rarely seen in this state of preservation. ex Deepak Haritwal Collection.

In my experience Illahi 48 rupee of Sitpur are harder to find than the Illahi 49 issues. I have also seen one Sitpur rupee with Illahi 47 which I believe is the hardest to find from this mint. let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Bhushan

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, AR rupee , Sitpur, Ilahi 48, Mihr, KM-94.4.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
Wow, perfectly centred & I wonder if they had any special ways of doing this as some types are regularly seen to have been struck with care rather than the more often seen haphazard off centre strikes, I wonder if they had some kind of collar or perhaps used the method seen with some Roman coins where upper & lower dies are fixed with a hinge so they line up properly ?
Vic

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
Deep, centric, full flan strike. Harmonious design on both sides that imparts a feeling of luxury. Glad you like the patina ;) However, what takes the cake is the coffee table book quality photograph. My mother liked to say: a picture like that will make anyone hungry. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »
Wow, perfectly centred & I wonder if they had any special ways of doing this as some types are regularly seen to have been struck with care rather than the more often seen haphazard off centre strikes, I wonder if they had some kind of collar or perhaps used the method seen with some Roman coins where upper & lower dies are fixed with a hinge so they line up properly ?
Vic, thanks a lot. I do believe that mints during reign of Akbar, Jahangir and Shah Jahan definitely used certain techniques that made the flans nice and round in certain cases. In case of Akbar we see coins from certain mints like Ahmadabad, Agra, Lahore which more often show nice round flans. Same is the case with certain rupees of Shah Jahan from Agra (also later Akbarabad), Lahore, Surat and Patna. Similarly we see examples of Jahangir Ahmadabad and Lahore rupee which are nicely centered on perfectly round flans. I have always wondered, did the Mughal mints have quality control ( for strike not the purity) or inspections? An interesting thought would be that some coins which were made for QC/ inspection or for that period would be of good strike ( centered, rounded flan, deep strike etc) and later when the officials moved on to the next mint town the quality of the coins would slip.

Here is my first example of this date. A nice coin for the date but looses badly to this one.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:15 PM »
Deep, centric, full flan strike. Harmonious design on both sides that imparts a feeling of luxury. Glad you like the patina ;) However, what takes the cake is the coffee table book quality photograph. My mother liked to say: a picture like that will make anyone hungry. :)

Peter
Thanks a lot . You are too generous with your words.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:01:22 AM »
Just a WOW coin, Bhushan!! Congrats!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
Just a WOW coin, Bhushan!! Congrats!
Thanks a lot!