News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Humayun, anonymous Falus AH 943

Started by capnbirdseye, August 27, 2014, 10:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

This coin is seemingly quite unusual as it only weighs  4.05g & obviously is quite thin, 18mm

So far on Fb it's been read as: left image clearly reads zarb falus agra  Right image  reads fi tarikh Nuhshad wa ------ Chahar.(9#4) the middle digit apparently not as yet read so I have no idea which reign it belongs, my guess is Humayun
Vic

capnbirdseye

Seems this may be another rarity,  there is only one on zeno belonging to Jan but of a different type with the date given in numerals

Identification by Shailen: This is a light weight Fulus of Humayun, Agra mint. The date is 944 but 'chahal' the word for 40 is gone off flan. It could well be 'Sih' or 30 but that would make the coin an issue of Babur - stylistically this doesn't fit and until now Babur's coins in the same type are known only for 936, hence my attribution to Humayun.

Later the date was given as . The date is 943 (Nuhsad wa Chahal wa Seh).

Jan Lingens example on zeno http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=139427
Vic

Figleaf

The key word is "lightweight". In my mind, that can mean at least two things: fractional coin or contemporary forgery. Other options include emergency issue and imitation by another ruler. Any ideas on what "lightweight" means in this case?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

Quote from: Figleaf on August 28, 2014, 01:35:11 PM
The key word is "lightweight". In my mind, that can mean at least two things: fractional coin or contemporary forgery. Other options include emergency issue and imitation by another ruler. Any ideas on what "lightweight" means in this case?

Peter

In this case it doesn't mean that,Shailen Bhandare used that term & it's called lightweight because all of the usual billon Bahloli coins of Humayun weigh around 9g & this rare type is only half of that or less in my case,  it's not really a 1/2 Bahloli either as it has 'falus' on it & in reality I don't think anyone is sure of what denomination they represent, I've altered the title as per the zeno example & put anonymous falus
Vic

saro

A very interesting coin which seems to be one of those reported for Agra by Nelson Wright and Whitehead
I posted a lighter one (2,2g) which is +/- half of yours; they could belong to the same series :
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,9509.msg64458.html#msg64458
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

capnbirdseye

Quote from: saro on August 28, 2014, 04:48:43 PM
A very interesting coin which seems to be one of those reported for Agra by Nelson Wright and Whitehead
I posted a lighter one (2,2g) which is +/- half of yours; they could belong to the same series :
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,9509.msg64458.html#msg64458

mine seems to be a different type to yours & the one on zeno & others & appears more finely engraved and there is still doubt about the date on mine,
Vic

saro

Such coins of Agra mint are listed in fair number in the "Catalogue of Mughal Coins in Lahore museum" ( Whitehead):
N° 65 & 67 with "fi tarrikh sanah + date in digit (943) / weight 61 to 66 grains
N° 66, 68 to 72  with "with be-tarrikh 946 / weight 67 to 69 grains
N° 105 to 107 (type of your coin) with "fi tarrikh + date in persian (nuhsad chahal wa...) / weight 68 grains

On an other hand, I have collected from Brown & Whitehead the weights of the "bahloli" of Humayun from various mints: they are in the range : 126,5 to 141,5 grains (8,6 to 9,7g with median = 9,3-9,4g)

I see no reason not to call them half bahloli? even if they bear (for the 1st time ?) the word "falus" ("copper coin")
and the lighter coins weighing +/- 2,2g (like mine) would well fit with 1/4 bahloli

Isn't it ? ???

The word falus will further appear on most of Akbar's copper (except on the early dams of Suri paisa type)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)