News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

'Deep hair' 2 1/2 guilder coin

Started by thelawnet, January 30, 2009, 06:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelawnet

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

thelawnet

Figleaf

Can you show the other side, please?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

thelawnet

Figleaf

With the usual reserves about grading from a pic, I'd grade it EF. The portrait seems to have wear on the cheek and eyebrow, I think I see scratches between the "K" and the forehead and what seems to be a small pit under the eye. The lion's ribs and the fleurons on the crown look OK to me, but I see scratches running from the lion's hind leg to the "N" and "D" as well as under the "G". I can't judge metal colour. Take it half a grade down if none of the original metal colour is left, add a plus if at least 33% is left.

Also, I don't think BU exists.

Peter

thelawnet

Well I am now $17.50 poorer, but 2 1/2 guilders richer. I will upload a better picture when I receive the coin.

THanks!

Figleaf

Congratulations. A nice looking coin for a good price and one that was also used in what at the time were the Netherlands East Indies. The denomination to go for is the half gulden. With one exception, they circulated in the NEI only, but KM lists them under the Netherlands.

Peter

thelawnet

Quote from: Figleaf on January 30, 2009, 08:38:15 PM
Congratulations. A nice looking coin for a good price and one that was also used in what at the time were the Netherlands East Indies. The denomination to go for is the half gulden. With one exception, they circulated in the NEI only, but KM lists them under the Netherlands.

Peter

Thanks. Actually the coin is coming from the former NEI. So I guess it has some provenance. I was actually looking to buy this 1943 'Palm Tree' 2 1/2 guilder coin that was designed specially for the Indies:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110341978410

But the bidders went crazy, I was seeing a not particularly great VF coin, so I tried comparing it to the other coins of this type, to see if there was something wrong with my eyes.

The first one I found was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110341973908

I thought 'huh, this one is MUCH better, look there's so much more detail in the hair'. So I went to check on numismaster.com. Both coins have similar values and mintages but I noticed a 'deep hair' variety:

Date Mintage F VF XF UNC BU
1933  3,560,000 BV 9.50 15.00 25.00 50.00
1933 Deep hair lines Inc. Ab. 70.00 125.00 250.00 350.00 500.00

I thought 'hmm, that's interesting'. And sure enough it is a 'deep hair' coin.

Luckily for me, the seller and the other bidders didn't know what they were selling and buying, so I got it for much less than fair value (though I do think the numbers listed are a bit high).

The common 1943 Indies coin will come along for me some other day for less money  :)

Figleaf

How about this one, from the Royal Dutch mint coin shop?

Peter

thelawnet

Hmm.

I'm a bit confused about this type now.

Here's some other 1933 rijksdaalders:

I can't see the difference...  ???

a3v1

Numismaster.com is wrong here! The date 1933 is always of the "deep hair" type; only 1932 and 1938 exist in both "deep hair" and "normal".
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Lori

Krause catalog don't mention about this 1933 minted 2 1/2 gulden , to be a "deep hair " type.
It's just an error  ?  ???

Figleaf

Not sure. The deep hair type first came up in old Schulman catalogues and from there on, it went into price list type catalogues. At first, it was not in KM, later, the variety was specified. I am not sure how far a catalogue like KM should go when listing varieties. I have a book on varieties of US coins. Should those all be listed? My answer is a definite NO. However, KM lists all kinds of pretty piddling varieties in other chapters (India and the UK are good examples), so maybe this one is on par with those in other chapters. There must be a middle of the road somewhere, I just don't know where it is. And as long as you can't be clear on a borderline, it's not even possible to pursue consistency.

Peter

Lori

Thank you Peter, you're right. Mybe I am superficial and I expect to find everything in only one place,in this case KP.