Author Topic: 6 Dams of Akbar to be identified  (Read 4817 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: 6 Dams of Akbar to be identified
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
Coin n°5 (Narnol) shows a full date in words : "nuhsad wa shast wa nuh" = 969 (also partially readable in digits at bottom)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 02:59:59 AM »
I think the difference is in identifying the coins as being dams of Akbar as apposed to identifying the actual mint, 8)
I agree it should be easy to spot similar chunky coins on the net or on zeno etc. & from that work out that these are of Akbar.
Coin number 3 of Dogoan presumably has the date in words as I see no numerals for AH 999 but I can't manage to read the date  :'(

First of all, I want to thank you once again for all your help Sir.

That is indeed how far I was able to go with these coins.

As for the date AH 999 I was convinced it was on the coin in the are that I marked with a square bellow:

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 03:02:58 AM »
On another look I found  a similar group of symbols on coin number 4. Isn't it a date 999 ?

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 03:06:16 AM »
Coin n°5 (Narnol) shows a full date in words : "nuhsad wa shast wa nuh" = 969 (also partially readable in digits at bottom)

Thank you very much.

I summarised information I've got from Victor and you and added it to what I've got from the original seller. Seems we only know nothing about coin #4 at this stage.

Akbar Dam 1 :  Weighs 20.7g, diameter 20mm, Urdu Zafar,  Ilahi 39

Urdu zafar Qarin, known as 'camp money' these were struck enroute
whilst Akbar was touring his domains in order to pay troops & other expenses

Akbar Dam 2  : weighs 20.7g, Narnol,  date 972

Akbar Dam 3 : weighs 20g,  Dogam,  date 999

Akbar Dam 4 : 20.5g

Akbar Dam 5  : 20.2g

Narnol mint

shows a full date in words : "nuhsad wa shast wa nuh" = 969 (also partially readable in digits at bottom)

Akbar Dam 6 : 20.5g

Atak Banaras mint, looks like Ilahi month Farwardin (Aries)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:23:05 AM by Randomiser »

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 03:34:18 AM »
Another thing I have just spotted is that coins 3 & 4 are actually terribly similar if you observe them carefully. Here are one side of each coin next to each other, each with particular area marked. The symbols in those areas are almost identical. The only difference between the two sides of the coins is in bottom left "corners", or if you like left side of the coin number 4 (basically, most but not all of the areas outside the red rectangles).

Similarly, there is a huge similarity between other sides of the coins

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
I join Vic : I am not able to detect a date like "999" ? in your square red areas it's the word "falus" of "dar al-salam falus Dogaon"; the date is on the other face, both in words and digits (fi sanah + date).

Your 2 last pictures are similar obverses which reads "dar al salam falus Dogaon" and here again what probably looks like a "4" is the "G" of Dogaon...no digit in it.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 10:30:14 AM »
Ramdomiser, you have a nice little collection there to start you off if you become interested in Akbar coppers, the word you confused with 999 appears on countless copper coins because 'Falus' means exactly that -copper coin  your coin 1  has most of this word visible also,
Vic

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 06:14:48 AM »
Thank you so much to both Vic and Saro. I wasn't aware of that and it is a very useful information. Now I know that if all of that space was used to write falus (copper) then only the rest of the coin's area is actually used to  identify them.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
But the word falus is also interesting. It is written as "fls" in Arabic. Use other vowels and you get follis. In its latest iteration, that was a coin of 40 nummi, but there are earlier coins with that name. They were introduced in 296 AD as a double denarius. Before that, it was a leather purse, holding a Roman soldier's pay - not necessarily coins, because soldiers could be paid in salt. That was their salarium.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
And in addition to Peter's post : in french slang, "flouze" means "money"; the word is directly coming from french North Africa and his still used today. It is interesting to notice that the french transcription is the exact phonetic of the arabic "flus".
It's one of the many arabic words of the french popular language....

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
Dam Dogaon n°3 :
The date isn't 999 but 1003...and  you have an interesting variety of dam from Dogaon mint with "Allah Akbar".
I join a drawing because the reading of this coin is not at all easy : the lower word is "fi" (and not "9") followed by ""sanah" just above it, which means "in year..". The date is written in words and only a part of "Allah" is present, Akbar is fully off flan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.