Author Topic: 6 Dams of Akbar to be identified  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Randomiser

6 Dams of Akbar to be identified
« on: June 14, 2014, 02:26:59 AM »
I've got 6 coins I believe to be Dams of Akbar the Great which I am either hoping to get help with identifying or to get a confirmation of identification I've got for some of them or perhaps some additional details.

I also wanted to ask what are the best ways of storing the dams considering that they are too thick for albums or capsules.

Your help with this will be much appreciated.

Offline Randomiser

Re: 6 Dams of Akbar to be identified
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 02:27:32 AM »
Akbar Dam 1 :  Weighs 20.7g, diameter 20mm, Urdu Zafar,  Ilahi 39

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 02:28:06 AM »
Akbar Dam 2  : weighs 20.7g, Narnol,  date 972

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 02:28:41 AM »
Akbar Dam 3 : weighs 20g,  Dogam,  date 999

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:29:09 AM »
Akbar Dam 4 : 20.5g

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 02:29:39 AM »
Akbar Dam 5  : 20.2g

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 02:30:06 AM »
Akbar Dam 6 : 20.5g

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 03:04:09 AM »
You know you can try to identify them yourself by looking at the freely available coin catalogs on archive.org.  That is what I usually do.  Also, you can use the Krause Indian catalog via google  books.  You have access to most of the mughal entries from there as well.  See the following books:

https://archive.org/details/catalogueofcoins02lahouoft
https://archive.org/details/coinsofmoghulemp00brit
http://books.google.com/books?id=T1P3l6zE_I0C&pg=PA4&dq=krause+mughal&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z5-bU-zIHK2isATpwYCwDw&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mughal&f=false
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:56:57 PM by Quant.Geek »
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Randomiser

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
Thanks for the links. I suppose I would enjoy using the Krause catalog to identify these coins, but I can't manage to open it.

I only happen to have 6 of these coins which I bought because they looked interesting to me while I was in opportunity to buy them cheaply. I was under impression that there are people with great interest in and great knowledge about dam coins so i hope it wouldn't be trouble for them to give me some hints from the top of their heads.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
number 6 appears to be Atak Banaras mint, looks like Ilahi month Farwardin (Aries)
 5 is Narnol mint

Number 1 is Urdu zafar Qarin, known as 'camp money' these were struck enroute whilst Akbar was touring his domains in order to pay troops & other expences
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:38:31 AM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 12:40:30 PM »
I only happen to have 6 of these coins which I bought because they looked interesting to me while I was in opportunity to buy them cheaply. I was under impression that there are people with great interest in and great knowledge about dam coins so i hope it wouldn't be trouble for them to give me some hints from the top of their heads.

It is not that I am against people from posting requests for identifying coins, but one of the fun things about collecting coins is trying to identify unknown coins.  I can't read Arabic, Persian, Bengali, nor Burmese, but I was able to spend the time to identify several coins myself using online catalogs as the ones I mentioned to come up with the answer.  Of course, there are times when that even proves to be difficult and hence I post a request here for aid.  The coins you posted should be fairly easy to identify...

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
  The coins you posted should be fairly easy to identify...

I wouldn't go so far as to say fairly easy,far from it in fact, for a start most of the mint is off the flan on some of the coins so it takes a skilled eye to spot the parts that are visible, my reading is extremely basic & I've only learned to recognise certain mints easily because I have examples myself. Some mints such as Narnol usually have very thick calligraphy which gives a clue if the mint is mostly missing. 
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
Vic,

In my book, you are an expert in reading these coins :D.  For me to identify these types of coins, I use comparative analysis and it works fairly well.  Once you have a basic understanding of where the coin is from, you should be able to identify the coin.  Of course, if you got a lump of copper with no clue as to where it originated, you got a lot of work on your hands and you definitely need someone to decipher the legends.

If these coins are indeed Akbar dams, then he should have no problem identifying the coins.  It just requires time, patience and the right tools.  If they are not, then he just has a several lumps of copper that needs identifying and that is quite difficult indeed. The earlier posts he made are of this example as he did not know where the coins came from, but you did an excellent job in identifying them.  I would have been clueless myself in that situation...

Ram

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
I think the difference is in identifying the coins as being dams of Akbar as apposed to identifying the actual mint, 8)
I agree it should be easy to spot similar chunky coins on the net or on zeno etc. & from that work out that these are of Akbar.
Coin number 3 of Dogoan presumably has the date in words as I see no numerals for AH 999 but I can't manage to read the date  :'(
Vic

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
I think the difference is in identifying the coins as being dams of Akbar as apposed to identifying the actual mint, 8)

Correct, and my definition of identification meant full attribution including mint and possible legend and year as well.  Getting legends are quite difficult at times as several sources do not provide them and the ones that do are few and far between...

BTW, I added one additional free book to the list above, The coins of the Moghul emperors of Hindustan in the British museum...

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:57:48 PM by Quant.Geek »