Author Topic: Eisenach (Wartburg): Reformatio in Nummis  (Read 2215 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Eisenach (Wartburg): Reformatio in Nummis
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »
In 2017 it will be 500 years since the Lutheran Reformation began. Part of jubilee activities (which started a while ago) this year is an exhibition at the Wartburg called "Reformatio in Nummis".

The Wartburg is an originally medieval castle near the city of Eisenach (in Thuringia, Germany). One of the famous people the place is connected to is Martin Luther who lived there for about a year in 1521/22. This summer, between early May and the end of October, an exhibition at the Wartburg shows medals depicting the reformation and its reception - you see Luther but also his counterparts. Have not seen the exhibition yet (maybe in mid-June) so please do not ask me how it is. :) But in case you plan to visit Eisenach anyway ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Eisenach (Wartburg): Reformatio in Nummis
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »
During the exhibition, the Wartburg is open from about eight to eight: First guided tour at 8.30, last one starts at 17.00 (one in English at 13.30), the castle closes at 20.00 h. This is a list of 2014 events; the image below is from that brochure.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
I will go to Vienna later this year and I am nagging to make a detour through Prague. This may fit in... The subject is pretty good. I wonder if there is some connection between Luther and the switch from gothic to latin characters on coins. Probably not, but since I just found a cultural link between Mysore and the Hittites, nothing is not out of the question either.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:59:50 PM »
Hmm, Fraktur was created or developed roughly at the same time when Luther "posted" his 95 theses, and then became popular for texts in German (until roughly 1900). But on coins? Mostly Antiqua in all those years, with few Fraktur exceptions, I think.

By the way, the exhibition is supported and sponsored by Künker, and features more than 100 coins and medals. As for getting up from the parking lot to the main entrance - well, you can walk all the way up, get a donkey ride (mostly for kids; I doubt they would let me ride on one ...) or use a shuttle service that drives you up, and back down.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
Poor donkey. I don't want to give it a hernia. ;D

Your terminology is probably more precise than mine, but I am not familiar with it, so I'll revert to the "picture says more than a thousand words" approach. Except that the message was much disturbed by the different quality of the pictures available online, so I scanned drawings from Vanhoudt instead. The double stuiver shown is from the first series struck for the "Burgundy inheritance". It follows the pattern of the Charles' father, Philip. The stuiver is from the second series. The basic setup is quite similar, but look at the lettering.

It may be different in a German context. I didn't check.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 03:17:43 PM »
Ah, I see. The letters in the first example look like uncial script (de: Unziale) to me. Apparently it "survived" on coins quite a bit longer, but I don't really know much about the background ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »
This exhibition will be open until the end of January. If you do not have any plans to travel to Eisenach between now and 31-Jan-2015 but are interested in the pieces, you can buy the "accompanying" catalog: http://www.schnell-und-steiner.de/artikel_8209.ahtml

Christian

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »
And those are the donkeys who carry you to the castle entrance.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
While I am sure it is fun to get up to the castle on a donkey, it won't be that nice for whoever would have to carry me. ;D  Have been to the Wartburg twice; one time (summer) we saw the donkeys but walked up and down, next time (late fall) we took the shuttle.

By the way, while searching for more info about the catalog, I came across a brochure which, translation wise, seems to be a work in progress. See the attached image. But the German version of their website has some flaws too. ;)

Christian