Author Topic: Akbar half dam, mint Khairabad. 975 Ah  (Read 794 times)

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
Akbar half dam, mint Khairabad. 975 Ah
« on: May 29, 2014, 03:04:17 PM »
Hi all,
Here is an exciting coin of Akbar, Half dam (wt-9.8gms) of the mint Khairabad. This mint is extremely rare and more so the half dam. In my knowledge this is the third specimen known.. So one can understand the rarity of this coin.. Enjoy!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar half dam, mint Khairabad. 975 Ah
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »
Congratulations, abhinumas. Good to know that the bronzes get the respect they deserve. What a great piece to add to your collection. Glad you showed it here.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »
Fantastic coin, copper coins are now hugely popular as many collectors in the past had little interest, I can manage to read part of Khairabad on Obv and Muhammad on the rev  8)
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »
Great pick Abhishek............ Knowing how to read the script helps pick such great coins from the bargain basement. But.........would you care to teach us how to read.........so we could also pick such bargains in competition with you.

Also it would also help us to be sure that there is no controversey like the Khairpur / Mirpur / Ujjainpur etc which were finally confirmed to read Chainpur.

Amt
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
Dear Vic, Thanks for appreciating the coin.. You will also appreciate 'Akb'ar written besides Mohammad.. Also 975 dated Khairabad was unknown til this specimen was found. Others are dated 969..
Amit ji, It definitely helps if you can read the coin. I got it among a bunch of scrap(Collection unworthy coins).. I took them all with this so that seller doesn't know that I was targetting this coin.
Dr.Abhishek

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
I have attempted to show how the mint name appears on the coin. One can see Zarb falus khairabad, 975 om the obverse and part of Jallaluddin Mohammed Akbar on the reverse. Sorry for the rather shabby work(I'm not as gifted as Ansari and Hussain bhai on the computer). Only wanted to show how the mint is written so that coin is spotted by the member of WOC if they come across this absolute rarity!!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
You have done a fine job, Abishek, as well as a great service to all our members and readers. Thank you.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 03:37:16 AM »
Thanks Peter
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
Dr . is undisputed champion of all the Akbar coppers .

Amit ji  competition will be quite tough  , I'm wondering how he devote time from his professional life and focusing only on coins ::) ::)

Congrats Dr.

Cheers ;D

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
Just trying to learn to read the Persian script. What is seen at around 4 to 5 O Clock position on the reverse? Something obviously connected to the mint name? and following the ............ abad (an alif - at about 9 O Clock)? There is some word also at the absolute Top (around 12 O Clock)?.   

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:02:20 AM »
Seen of falus at 4-5'o clock position,. No coin with the top legend has been found..so not yet read.. Hopefully we will find a coin with top legend visible.. Hardly 6-7 coins has ever been found!!
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
Great pick Abhishek............ Knowing how to read the script helps pick such great coins from the bargain basement. But.........would you care to teach us how to read.........so we could also pick such bargains in competition with you.

Also it would also help us to be sure that there is no controversey like the Khairpur / Mirpur / Ujjainpur etc which were finally confirmed to read Chainpur.

Amt

I agree with Amit ji it is where expert knowledge comes into play , I have asked Abhishek to start tutorial for me but he is quite busy hunting coins from all over world.

Any way Congrats Abhishek  to add in your collection .

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/