Author Topic: Aurangzeb: Rupee, Junagadh mint, Unusual design, Artistic & Decorative type  (Read 1870 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Aurangzeb, Silver Rupee, Junagadh mint, AH 1078 RY 10, Large flan type

I did not see this coin type before at this forum hence am posting my specimen.

This coin type is unusual for Aurangzeb's coins that are usually devoid of much artistic elements. I wonder what prompted the choice of design behind this coin that has a large flan and is decorative and attractive.

The ticket on the coin says AH1078 RY 10 but I can't see it anywhere on the flan, is the date based on stylistic design and mint of the coin?

The coin has a lovely toning and deep strike with almost broad 'Nazarana' like flan. The placement of flowers, stars, square area with knots and inter-twined legend arrangement gives this coin a highly visual and aristic appeal that is an enigma going against the relative strict and austere image of the coin's master/issuer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:15:19 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The ticket on the coin says AH1078 RY 10 but I can't see it anywhere on the flan, is the date based on stylistic design and mint of the coin?
Mitresh, It took me a few years to be able to read the date though I have 4 or 5 of these coins...........For one, the style of writing 7's and 8's by this mint is very different. Normally the 7 and 8 are written as "V" and "inverted V". However here the 7 is written as > is 1.>> is 1077............ I failed to spot the date but the RY 10 is clearly seen at the top of the right image. Invert the coin to read the date in the margin................The AH date would normally be placed at the same position on the other image.........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member

It took me a few years to be able to read the date though I have 4 or 5 of these coins

Wow! Why didn't you post them earlier at WoC? Do post them now......

The RY 10 is clearly seen at the top of the right image.

Thanks, it's clear now and I can see it.

But the moot question remains - what prompted the change/shift in design of coins for this particular mint only?
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member

But the moot question remains - what prompted the change/shift in design of coins for this particular mint only?

Not only Junagadh had such square area type coins , Akbarabad too had from Aurangzeb.

Refer here

If I'm not wrong both these mint have this design apart from regular normal pattern.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline Husain Makda

And rare issues of Jahangirnagar had Square design too Amitbhai.  most probably struck from gold die.
Blessed by the Masters.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Yes, just saw that coin in Sandeepbhai's collection yesterday.

Amit

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Only 1 from Jahangirnagar posted here

So 3 Mints
1. Junagadh
2.Akbarabad
3. Jahangirnagar

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
I have learned one thing about Mughal Numismatics.............one can never say that this is / are the only ones ........ as surprises come regularly.

Amit