UK Kew Gardens 50p of 2009 rockets in value

Started by <k>, February 20, 2014, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyg

Quote from: Bimat on July 03, 2017, 04:12:51 PM
What was the issue price of 2009 proof set? If a person is paying say £100 for the single proof/unc coin, I think getting the complete proof set for €161 (~£141.50 at current exchange rate) is still cheap. ;D

Aditya

about £50 I think - this was before the price rocketed up in 2013 and everyone stopped buying them.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

39.10 GBP was the cost of the proof set of 2009 (Standard edition)

FosseWay

I bought mine direct from the Royal Mint on 26 November 2008 for £39.95.

The annual standard proof set cost £39.95 every year from 2006 to 2011. The 2012 one was £55 and was the last one I bought, as the price after that went stupid as Andy says.

Alan71

Yes, I paid £39.95 too.  That was the standard issue price.  The corresponding Brilliant Uncirculated set was £19.95.  Those were the days.  Of course, I'd have bought about ten of each (like most of us probably would) had I known that the Kew Gardens one would send modern coin collecting off in a silly direction.  My partner jokes about selling my four Kew Gardens coins (two proofs, one BU and one circulated) to pay for a nice holiday.  No way!

eurocoin

The Royal Mint has yesterday still sold silver Kew Gardens coins. It is unknown if they have further kews or what other old coins they still have in stock. That it is not on their website apparently does not in itself mean they don't have it. Apparently it is worth to call and ask. If anyone is interested feel free to let me know by PM and I will provide the name and department of the person who handles such requests.