Author Topic: How silly can you get?  (Read 493 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
How silly can you get?
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
The Isle of Man will issue the first "coin" in a series "history of the Isle of Man". Fine, you think. Thematic, but at least they are now trying to commemorate something remotely serious. The first "coin" in the series will celebrate the stone army, found near Wuhan in China. Huh?

This abomination will have a square hole in the middle, like any ol' Chinese cash that can be had for cheap and it will use the Rank-Broadley portrait. Her majesty will be prettily holed up.

How could thid happen? The answer: Pobjoy "mint" will coin just about anything they think will sell and of course that means logic is not part of the equation. Will future collectors be amazed at our naiveté, or will they conclude that maybe the Isle of Man was a synonym for Taiwan?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
Re: How silly can you get?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »
I am quite often asked about Isle of Man coins.

I am glad to say that is one area of numismatics about which I know nothing, save the Boulton issues of the late 18th Century!  I have no intention of putting them on my website...

...for reasons that are self-evident.

One has to draw a line somewhere! ;-)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: How silly can you get?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:41:24 PM »
Her majesty will be prettily holed up.

Terribly sorry to disappoint you, but QE will remain intact.

And that is about the most positive comment I can make about those issues.

Christian
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:35:02 AM by Niels »

BC Numismatics

How silly can you get?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:19:33 PM »
Terribly sorry to disappoint you, but QE will remain intact.

And that is about the most positive comment I can make about those issues.

Christian

Christian,
  This reminds me of the Australian silver Holey Dollar & Dump medal-coins that were struck at the Perth Mint in the late 1980's & early 1990's.The Holey Dollar was a silver $1,& the Dump was the silver 25c. medal-coin.

The Pobjoy Mint is notorious for its medal-coin issues.At least the Commonwealth Mint aren't as bad.

Aidan.