Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 89367 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
The National Bank of Hungary has issued (22nd April) two new coins which honor one of the country's most well-known and respected composers, Béni Egressy (1814 - 1851) best remembered for composing the music to "The Szózat", a famous poem by Hungarian poet Mihály Vörösmarty. The song later became the unofficial "second Hungarian national anthem.

Born as Benjámin Galambos on 21 April 1814 in Sajókazinc (now Kazincbarcika), Egressy was at different times in his career, a composer, actor, playwright and translator. He took the surname "Egressy" from his father Pál Egresi-Galambos, a Reformed Church pastor. He attended the Reformed Church Secondary School in Miskolc and then college in Sárospatak, until his father's death forced him to end his studies and work as a school master and assistant teacher. He later joined the chorus and decided to become an actor and opera singer, following the example of his brother, Gabor Egressy who was an actor in Kassa. He studied music theory and languages and in 1838 he walked to Milan for voice training as he had no money. Returning from one and a half years in Italy, after modest success as an opera singer, he began work as a composer and from 1843 he was a member of the National Theatre. He translated some sixty plays and operas from German, French and Italian. Of his 47 compositions, 35 appeared in print with most of his works in the "verbunkos" style, along with artificial folk songs, and accompaniment for many poems by Petőfi, Tompa and Vörösmarty.

As a Hungarian musician, his work was pioneering in some ways, as it was mainly German-speaking musicians who had worked with artificial folk songs before him. He combined the verses of the greatest poets of that age with the popular Hungarian verbunkos and csárdás musical styles. He authored several plays himself, with Két Sobri (1851) achieving the most success. In 1843, András Bartay, director of the National Theatre, announced a competition for the musical accompaniment of Vörösmarty's poem "Szózat" and it was judged that Egressy's novel submission, which was believed best suited to the spirit of the Reform period. His work was unanimously selected by Vörösmarty himself and by the two greatest musicians of that time in Pest-Buda, Ferenc Erkel and Mihály Mosonyi. Presented in 1843, this work quickly became well-known and even today it stands as a symbolic work and as Hungary's second national anthem.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:28 PM »
Estonia has issued a coin on 150th birth ann of Miina Harma

Miina Härma (February 9, 1864 – November 16, 1941) was a widely recognised Estonian composer. She was the second Estonian musician with higher education.

Her greatest contribution is perhaps the fact that she took organ music to the countryside, as virtually no skilled organists gave concerts outside of towns.

During her 60-year period of creativity, she wrote more than 200 choral songs, 10 cavatinas, a canto, "Kalev and Linda" and much more. Most of her works were forms of vocal music, rather than instrumentals.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:31:57 PM by <k> »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #227 on: June 04, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
Fantastic design! At last, a successful attempt to put the concept of music (rather than yet another musician) on a coin. It's all reduced to a pure tone. Sound on a coin. Brilliant! Is Estonia trying to become the next design country, after Finland? I wish them luck.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #228 on: June 04, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »
Is Estonia trying to become the next design country, after Finland?

Some of the earlier Estonian coin are pretty good too. A wide variety methinks:
http://www.eestipank.ee/en/notes-and-coins/estonian-collector-coins

The Miina Härma coin is from Utrecht (minted by the KNM), and will cost €35. Mintage 7,500 ...

Christian

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Hello, Pabitra, Figleaf and Chrisild.

Just popped on for a few minutes today and found your posts regarding the new Miina Harma Estonian Composer coin. Your posts are printed and in my file of "future acquisitions". Thanks so much for the information and commentary.

I also like the design very much and am trying to figure out of it reflects the tuning fork and "overtones"...or just vibrations. Since it is a "composer coin" when I get mine it will go in that category but it will be one of relatively few that don't feature the actual composer's likeness as the main feature. Sort of a nice diversion from the "regular" issues featuring composers. Figleaf, I DO like to see a composer's image on a commemorative coin...but change is nice once in a while.

Surgery is next Wednesday for removal of my 2 "native" kidneys. My transplant of 7 years ago is doing well so they don't think there will be too many complications. I'll post when I'm home and recovered. It might take a while. PKD is a genetic illness and I am the 1 surviver in my family. I have a LOT more to accomplish in life so this little "blip" is just a small inconvenience!

Best to everyone.  Alan in Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2014, 10:09:03 PM »
One of the fun things about this sort of design is that it doesn't tell you what to see. No portrait and no notes means you have to make your own music. I see balls in a three-dimensional space, arranged in a strict geometrical pattern. To me, that suggest a pure tone, free of overtones. That, in turn, suggests harmony and high quality, the sort of things a composer would want. There's nothing against portraits and notes, but they concentrate on the person. This coin concentrates on the music, which is a more difficult thing to do, but should be done, because composer and music needs each other. You cannot neglect one or the other.

Best wishes for the transplant, Alan. Whenever things get tough, think of your coins and your music. They are for there for relaxing. Take your time, but do let us know. And take care.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »
Hello, Figleaf.

I took the plunge and ordered the Miina Harma coin. I figured it will be delivered while I'm in the hospital so that will give me an even GREATER incentive to GET OUT OF THERE!!!

Thanks for the kind words. While this isn't an "easy" surgery and recovery, the doctors and surgical team were very pleased with my physical condition and weight and all of the numerous pre-testing exams and they felt this would speed up the recovery.  Still pretty spy for a 63 year old and I topped the charts on the "stress test" (on a treadmill and far exceeded my target numbers).

Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #232 on: June 05, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »

Surgery is next Wednesday for removal of my 2 "native" kidneys. My transplant of 7 years ago is doing well so they don't think there will be too many complications. I'll post when I'm home and recovered. It might take a while. PKD is a genetic illness and I am the 1 surviver in my family. I have a LOT more to accomplish in life so this little "blip" is just a small inconvenience!

Get well soon, Alan. Wish you a very speedy recovery.
Pabitra

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #233 on: July 16, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »
Hello everyone.

I posted this prior to my hospitalization, but I think I may have later deleted it in error. Anyway, this coin arrived just prior to my hospitalization. It commemorates Marcos Antonio de Fonseca Portugal (1732-1830). The nation of issue is Portugal, 2.5 Euros of 2014. I don't think a KM number has been assigned as yet.

Portugal is recognized for his Operas in the Italian language.

Best to everyone.  Alan

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:26:26 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Destrans

« Reply #234 on: September 04, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
On 30 January 2015, Finland plans to release a gold and silver coins in honour of the 150th anniversary of composer Jean Sibelius' birth.
The design is provisional and may change

Offline Miner

« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
San Marino may issue 2euro commem coin in 2014 on 90th Ann of death of Giacomo Puccini.

Giacomo Antonio Domenico Michele Secondo Maria Puccini ( 22 December 1858 – 29 November 1924), generally known as Giacomo Puccini, was an Italian composer whose operas are among the most frequently performed in the standard repertoire.
Puccini has been called "the greatest composer of Italian opera after Verdi.While his early work was rooted in traditional late-19th-century romantic Italian opera, he successfully developed his work in the 'realistic' verismo style, of which he became one of the leading exponents.

foto

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2015, 12:00:40 AM »
Hello, everyone.

Alan in Massachusetts here (MusicCoins). It's been much too long since I've been around...something I hope to change soon. Anyway, warm greetings to my past friends here and to all who post new composer coins.

I am looking for a link to, or a photo of a Coin issued by Poland in 1999 to honor Frederic Chopin. I assume it is unique as it contains 12 ounces of gold. I don't think I'll be looking to add this one to my collection anytime soon...but I AM curious as to the design? Does anyone have any information they might share.

Many thanks.   Alan

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2015, 12:25:55 AM »
Welcome back. ;)  And no, I don't think that Poland (as in, the government/central bank) issued such a piece. This is the NBP's Chopin program in that year. As you see, a half ounce gold coin, a silver coin (about 14g) and a Nordic Gold (base metal) piece. Now the Mint of Poland may have produced such a gold beast for, or in the name of, some other country ...

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »
Hello Alan,
Hope you are not referring to Chopin coin, made by Polish mint for Niue, last year