Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 89374 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2015, 05:02:22 AM »
Semyon Stepanovych Gulak-Artemovsky (Ukrainian:Семен Степанович Гулак-Артемовський, also referred to as Semyon Gulak Artemovsky) (February 16 [O.S.February 4] 1813 - April 17 [O.S. April 5] 1873), was aUkrainian opera composer, singer (baritone), actor, and dramatist who lived and worked in Imperial Russia.

He is known mainly for his comic opera Zaporozhets za Dunayem (A Zaporozhian (Cossack) Beyond the Danube), as well as for his dramatic talent and his powerful, richbaritone voice. He was the nephew of the poet Petro Hulak-Artemovsky and a close friend of Taras Shevchenko.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2015, 02:45:26 AM »
UKRAINE - 2 HRYVNIA 2015 "Michael Verbitsky" Composer, anthem

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2015, 09:00:26 PM »
So many beautiful composer coins, and thanks to all for continuing to post them!!!! I have revived my collecting after a bit of a break and have located many of the examples of new issues so many of you have posted here so again, THANK YOU!

I have discovered a possible music/composer (?) coin but I can't quite identify the musician (I think) who is on it. The coin is "Trade Coinage" from the Isle of Man and dated 1997 with a KM number of 797. From the small photo in the Standard Catalog of World Coins I can make out a bit of the writing on the coin, "Poet and --------- of Irish melodies" and his bust is located "below harp player" as stated in SCWC. Does anyone have any idea who this might be and is he a "composer"? I have tried numerous online sites to see if I can find the answer, but no luck. I would be most grateful for any information. I have all the other composer coins in this series, but I can not find out anything about this one.

Many thanks.

Alan in MA

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2015, 01:37:52 AM »
The person referred on the coin is Thomas Moore ( 1779 - 1852).
He is referred as "Poet and Author of Irish Melodies".

A poet is an author who writes the lyrics of a poem/ song/ composition.
A composer is one who composes the rhythm / music  of the same.

Thomas Moore (28 May 1779 – 25 February 1852) was an Irish poet, singer, songwriter, and entertainer, now best remembered for the lyrics of "The Minstrel Boy" and "The Last Rose of Summer". He was responsible, with John Murray, for burning Lord Byron's memoirs after his death. In his lifetime he was often referred to as Anacreon Moore.
Moore became best known for these Irish Melodies, which were enormously popular, containing songs apart from the above two, such as "Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms" and "Oft in the Stilly Night". Several examples of his music, such as Farewell! But Whenever You Welcome the Hour are available online.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
Hello, Pabitra.

May I thank you, a little bit late, for your kind and very much appreciated reply to my question about the Thomas Moore coin. Your efforts are always very much appreciated!!!

Now, the question is, will I be able to find a coin on the market and the bigger question, can I afford it??

Thanks SO much.

Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2015, 02:49:27 AM »
Hunt for it for that is as pleasurable as holding a beautiful coin in your hand.

You are always welcome.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Pabitra. You are absolutely right. I enjoy the hunt almost as much as the satisfaction of actually adding the coin to my collection. we think alike!

Best wishes!  Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #247 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
On April 1, 2015 the Central Bank of the Russian Federation issued a commemorative coin in denomination of 2 Roubles — „The 175th Anniversary of Composer P.I. Tchaikovsky’s Birth”

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
Sviatoslav Teofilovich Richter (March 20, 1915 – August 1, 1997) was a Soviet pianist known for the depth of his interpretations, virtuoso technique, and vast repertoire. He is considered one of the greatest pianists of the 20th century.

In 1961, Richter's recording with Erich Leinsdorf and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra of the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 won the Grammy Award for Best Classical Performance – Concerto or Instrumental Soloist. That recording is still considered a landmark (despite Richter's dissatisfaction with it), as are his studio recordings of Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy, Liszt's two Piano Concertos, Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto and Schumann's Toccata, among many others.

His birth Anniv. is commem by 2 Roubles coin of Russia

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #249 on: April 05, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
Hello once again, Pabitra.

Richter was a superb pianist and I have already begun the search for the coin for my "Famous Music Performers" set. The Tchaikovsky coin is eagerly anticipated for the "composer" set but I expect it will be a while before they hit the market. This will be a most welcome addition, as will Richter.

There's a terrific bunch of gentlemen (and ladies?) that contribute here so I send a most sincere thanks to one and all.

Alan in MA

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
Hungary - two coins  - 2015 - 2000 & 10000 Forint  coins - Sebestyn "Lantos" Tinodi - 500th birth Anniversary - described as 16th century Minstrel - in absence of technology to communicate music compositions in that period, he could be called a composer of modern times.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2015, 08:34:43 AM »

Finland 10 Euro issued on 1st January 2009

Fredrik Pacius (19.3.1809 – 8.1.1891) was a German-born Finnish composer and conductor who had a significant impact on the rise of the music life of Finland in the 19th century. He has earned the title of ‘the father of Finnish music'.

Fredrik Pacius was born in Hamburg and studied composition and the violin in Kassel. He served for several years as violinist in Stockholm before moving to Helsinki and starting to teach music at the University of Helsinki in 1834.

When Pacius arrived in Helsinki the music scene was unorganized and largely the field of enthusiastic amateurs. In 1838 Pacius formed a male choir, the Akademisk Sångföreningen. Later he also formed the Helsinki Symphonic Society with which he performed to a Helsinki audience works such as those of Mozart, Beethoven and Rossini.

In 1848 the song Our country, composed to a poem written by Runeberg was performed for the first time at a school undergraduates' party on Flora's day in Kumpula, Helsinki. Pacius is said to have composed the music in four days. The song became very popular and became established as the Finnish national anthem at the start of the 1900s.

The song spread outside the country as well. The Estonian national anthem Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja room and the Livonian national anthem Min iz?m?. Both use the same tune by Pacius.

In 1852 the first Finnish opera, composed by Pacius, was completed. This was the Hunt of King Charles in the style of Romantic nationalism. Zacharius Topelius wrote the libretto with Pacius.

Pacius also composed the operas The Princess of Cyprus and Lorelei, orchestral works, chamber music, cantatas and other vocal works. Pacius received a professorship in 1860.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
A fantasy coin from Catalunya (Spain).
A 25 ECU Silver coin was also issued with identical design.

Pau Casals i Defilló (December 29, 1876 – October 22, 1973), known during his professional career as Pablo Casals, was a Spanish Catalan cellist and conductor. He is generally regarded as the pre-eminent cellist of the first half of the 20th century, and one of the greatest cellists of all time. He made many recordings throughout his career, of solo, chamber, and orchestral music, also as conductor, but he is perhaps best remembered for the recordings of the Bach Cello Suites he made from 1936 to 1939.

In 1899, Casals played at The Crystal Palace in London, and later for Queen Victoria at Osborne House, her summer residence, accompanied by Ernest Walker. On November 12, and December 17, 1899, he appeared as a soloist at Lamoureux Concerts in Paris, to great public and critical acclaim.

He settled in the French Catalan village of Prada de Conflent, near the Spanish Catalan border; between 1939 and 1942 he made sporadic appearances as a cellist in the unoccupied zone of southern France and in Switzerland. So fierce was his opposition to the dictatorial regime of Francisco Franco in Spain that he refused to appear in countries that recognized the authoritarian Spanish government. He made a notable exception when he took part in a concert of chamber music in the White House on November 13, 1961, at the invitation of President John F. Kennedy, whom he admired. On December 6, 1963, Casals was awarded the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Casals was also a composer. Perhaps his most effective work is La Sardana, for an ensemble of cellos, which he composed in 1926. His oratorio El Pessebre was performed for the first time in Acapulco, Mexico, on December 17, 1960. He also presented it to the United Nations during their anniversary in 1963. He was initiated as an honorary member of the Epsilon Iota Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia music fraternity at The Florida State University in 1963. He was later awarded the fraternity's Charles E. Lutton Man of Music Award in 1973.

One of his last compositions was the "Hymn of the United Nations". He conducted its first performance in a special concert at the United Nations on October 24, 1971, two months before his 95th birthday. On that day, the Secretary-General of the United Nations, U Thant, awarded Pablo Casals the U.N. Peace Medal in recognition of his stance for peace, justice and freedom. Casals accepted the medal and made his famous "I Am a Catalan" speech, where he stated that Catalonia had the first democratic parliament, long before England did.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »
Hello, everyone.

My long awaited Vanuatu coin of Frederic Chopin (2014 20 Vatu) arrived about a week ago after a long wait due to the German airplane/mail strike. I have attached a link to the photos (which aren't the best because of my VERY limited skills in that area). Anyway, I am hoping someone out there may have some of the specifications for the piece, mintage, weight, silver fineness...and I'd be grateful for anything anyone could provide.

Thanks so much!  Alan in MA

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:06:45 AM by Figleaf »

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2015, 11:15:42 PM »
Recently issued coin from Niue Islands on Frederic Chopin

Obverse added
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:01:48 PM by Pabitra »