Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 89382 times)

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
Hello Christian and everyone. It's nice to be back with "the gang" after a long departure. It's great to see that there are new contributions to this topic...so near and dear to my heart. I have a few more as seen in the scans below. The large silver piece is from Latvia, dated 2013 and commemorates the great German composer Richard Wagner. The piece in the black holder honors Guiseppi Verdi, is also of 2013 and is from Italy. Finally, the coin in the folder honors "Slim Dusty", David Gordon Kirkpatrick, and is known for his Australian country music. It is also dated 2013 and is a $1 piece from Australia.

Best to everyone. Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
Is there any coin commemorating Claude Debussy? I didn't know anything about him until I saw today's Google Doodle. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »
Not sure; he sure was on the 20 francs note of the last FRF series. But that's "paper", not metal. :)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_francs_Debussy (page in French)

Christian

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »
Hello, Christian and Aditya.

I am not quite sure why Debussy has never been honored on a coin (probably from France?) at least, not to my knowledge. He certainly stands out as a well loved composer (though he is about 100 years later than my favorite musical period). Beautiful impressionistic music. Anyway, I look forward to the time that France will wake up and realize that they have a great composer they can honor on a coin(and add some $ to the French treasury as a result). I have the note...but coins are my forte (no pun intended).

All the best.  Alan

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2013, 08:16:31 PM »
Here is another "composer-conductor" coin. :)  Comes in a few days. The Polish central bank plans to issue three pieces (2 zł "Nordic Gold", 10 zł silver, 200 zł gold) dedicated to Witold Lutosławski on 18 September.

An image of the silver is attached below. You can see all three (also enlarged views) on this page:
http://www.nbp.pl/homen.aspx?f=/en/banknoty/kolekcjonerskie/2013.html#m15

Christian
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:33:17 PM by <k> »

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
Hello Christian, and thanks!!!! I'll be on the watch for an example of this coin. I'd print out the post you sent but for the 3rd time in 15 months, my printer has died. The 2nd replacement is due here tomorrow at no additional cost but I'm getting a bit annoyed with the same error message...which basically means the printer is non-repairable. Glad I bought the warranty!!! Wish me luck with printer #3. #2 lasted 1 month to the day!

Alan  >:(

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
Franjo Krezma, composer and violinist on this old thaler sized fantasy piece from 2012.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2013, 10:46:20 PM »
Witold Roman Lutosławski ( 25 January 1913 – 7 February 1994) was a Polish composer and orchestral conductor. He was one of the major European composers of the 20th century, and one of the preeminent Polish musicians during his last three decades. He earned many international awards and prizes. His compositions (of which he was a notable conductor) include four symphonies, a Concerto for Orchestra, a string quartet, instrumental works, concertos, and orchestral song cycles.

Near the end of his life, he was awarded the Order of the White Eagle, Poland's highest honour.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:11:06 PM by <k> »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
See reply #199. :)  But it does make sense to leave both posts here, as they show different issues.

Christian

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »
Hi, Christian.

I'm glad both posts appeared for the Lutoslawski issues. Now I have a "visual" of the coins and will recognize them if I run into them on ebay or elsewhere.

Alan

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
Eesti Pank : The collector coin dedicated to the music of Raimond Valgre will go on sale on 7 October

10/05/2013 | 01:38am US/Eastern

Eesti Pank will issue the silver seven-euro collector coin dedicated to the music of Raimond Valgre on 7 October. The coins will go on sale in the Eesti Pank museum and in SEB offices across Estonia from 1.00pm on 7 October at a price of 35 euros.

The date 7 October 2013 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Raimond Valgre, the Estonian composer and musician. The design of the coin features a fragment of the handwritten score for Saaremaa Waltz, the signature of the composer and the nominal value of the coin of seven euros. The front bears the coat of arms of the Republic of Estonia and the year 2013.

The proof-quality silver (Ag 925) collector coin weighs 28.28 grammes and is 38.61 mm in diameter. The total mintage is 7,500 coins. .

The coin was designed by the artist Berbel Lätt. The coins are being minted in the Royal Dutch Mint, the Koninklijke Nederlandse Munt.

The coin commemorating Valgre's music can be bought from the Eesti Pank museum, from the e-shop http://www.post.ee/9508 or from SEB offices across Estonia, more information on which can be obtained from the SEB customer support line 665 5100.

The coins cannot be ordered in advance and each purchaser is limited to twenty coins.

The Eesti Pank Museum at Estonia pst 11, Tallinn, is open from Tuesdays to Fridays 12.00-17.00 and on Saturdays 11.00-16.00. On 7 October the museum will open from 13.00-17.00.

For further information:
Eesti Pank museum shop +372 668 0650
Eesti Pank information line +372 668 0719

Ingrid Mitt
Public Relations Office
Tel: +372 668 0965, +372 512 6843
Email: ingrid [dot] mitt[at] eestipank [dot] ee
Media queries: press[at] eestipank [dot] ee

Source: 4-Traders
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
Here are the details

Raimond Valgre (born Raimond Tiisel; 7 October 1913 – 31 December 1949) was an Estonian composer and musician, whose songs have become some of the most well known in Estonia.[1] During World War II, he was a member of the orchestra of the 8th Estonian Rifle Corps of the Red Army and, as a result of his service on the Eastern Front he became an alcoholic after the war. His music was banned in 1948 by the Soviet authorities. Raimond Valgre died in an accident on 31 December 1949.
The revival of Valgre's compositions began in the Soviet Union of the 1960s. This included Armenian jazz vocalist Tatevik Oganesyan's rendition of "A Little Story in the Music" in her album Day Dream.The biographical feature film Need vanad armastuskirjad ("Those Old Love Letters") followed in 1992. In 2001, guitarist Francis Goya recorded twelve of the composer's song in his album "Pleased to Meet You, Mr. Valgre".

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Hello, Bimat and Pabitra...and everyone.  :D

Thank you very much for the information on the Valgre coin. Pieces with musical notation are among my favorites and this one will be watched with interest. I can visualize exactly where the museum is in Tallinn from our visit to that beautiful city a few years back. Anyway, I think I will place an order when they are available on October 7.

Many thanks.    Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2013, 06:46:38 PM »
Hello Alan,
Banjo Patterson is being remembered again in Australia with 3 new coins.
Will let you know the details but here are the images.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:33 AM »
Hello Pabitra and thanks for the update on Banjo Peterson. I'll watch for your update and thanks so much for the post.

Alan