Author Topic: Music: Composers on Coins  (Read 89375 times)

paisepagal

Re: Music: Composers on Coins
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
Hi Alan,

The 1969 Gandhi, 1970-71 Fao , which contained 80% silver along with the 1972 independence commem did circulate, but none after that.
Rs20 coins have never circulated so far. But with inflation and rupee depreciation, it's not far away that the authorities will be forced to introduce such denominations for circulation

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »
I don't know the price of this coin, but I will do some searching to see if I can find one.... My thinking is that the cost may be prohibitive but I am intrigued and will search, "just in case". Neither of these coins are listed in SCWC or the NGC World Coin site.

Regarding the gold coins in the photo below, it states that they were legal tender. Do gold coins really circulate in Azerbijan? Or, should I assume that they COULD circulate but it is expected that collectors/dealers would obtain them all before they ever reached circulation?

I may never own the coin(s) but it is exciting to know they are "there" if I ever win the lottery.

They may not be listed in SCWC or NGC but they are very much listed in WMK. Four gold coins were issued in 2008 and they are listed as S#19 to 22. Indicative price is 1500 Euros.

They are NCLT or legal tender at face value but not issued by bank at that price.

Keep on buying lottery tickets. My best wishes are always with you.

Also Luxembourg has changed the topic of its 2 Euro coin, to be issued in end June, from "change of guards" to"national anthem".
The design is not ready but I expect the same to be music oriented. The Central Bank will announce it by end of this month. That coin should not cost more than 4 Euro. Will keep you informed.

best
PKS

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Luxembourg has announced the design of its National Anthem coin.

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »
Excellent, Pabitra. Thank you so much!!!  Alan

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2013, 12:08:11 AM »
Hello everyone. Here is a new addition to my composer set that arrived today. By chance I spotted it on E-Bay as I had not known of its existence previously.  It is 2 Dinars of Andorra featuring Frederic Chopin dated 2009. It is not listed in SCWC or on the NGC World Coin site. Not my favorite image of Chopin to be sure. He kinda' looks like he needs the bathroom...really badly!

Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:21:12 AM by alglasser »

paisepagal

« Reply #170 on: May 24, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
paisepagal.

Wow! Excellent. Thanks so much!!!! Finally Banjo Paterson (Australia KM-269a1) and Dame Nellie Melba (Australia KM-338) won't be lonely any more. Australia honored Maria Callas too (though she was Greek) with KM-1645 so that will round out the famous Australian honored musicians really well. Thanks so much for letting me know. I will start the hunt. I see that Italy has minted the long awaited 2 euro of Giseppi Verdi so I will be looking for that too. I am watching UNC.s on E-Bay but am wondering if there will be a PROOF mintage. Wow...I'm going to be busy...and broke!

Many thanks!!!!!!  Alan

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »
Alan,
I could locate another composer coin from Kazakhstan.

Zhubanov Akhmet(1906-1968) - composer, conductor, musical expert, ethnographer, People’s Artist of Kaz.SSR, Doctor of art criticism, Academician of Academy of Sciences of Kaz.SSR, State Prize winner of Kaz.SSR. Graduated from the historical and theoretical faculty of Leningrad Conservatory in 1932. In 1932-1933 was a post-graduate of the Art Criticism Academy. In 1934 he founded the Kazakh folk orchestra (now Kurmangazy Kazakh State Academic Folk Orchestra). Zhubanov was at the head of Alma-Ata State Conservatory. He had the honour of opening the Jambul Kazakh State Philharmonic Society. He was one of the founders of the republican Academy of Sciences, organised the art criticism section, which eventually became a part of the Auezov Institute of Literature and Art. The organisational, creative, scholarly, pedagogical, and social activity of Zhubanov formed the whole epoch in the history of Kazakhstani musical culture. He was at the source of professional musical education, musical creative work and music studies. The name of the academician-composer Zhubanov stands beside the names of outstanding public figures that laid the foundations of Kazakh culture. The operas «Abai» and «Tulegen Tokhtarov» with L.Khamidi, the symphonic compositions: «Marsh pamyati Kurmangazy (March for Kurmangazy)», «Zhez kiik», a Kazakh dance suite, the piano compositions «Saranzhap», «Korogli», a chorus, songs, romances, theatrical music and cinematic scores, academic works «The Life and Creative Work of Kazakh Popular Composers of the XIX and Early XX Centuries», «The Strings of Centuries», «The Nightingales of Centuries», «Mukan Tulebaev», «Kurmangazy»; ethnographic researches of Kazakh folk songs and kiuis, recordings of Kurmangazy’s and Dauletkerei’s kiuis and many other compositions of A. Zhubanov made valuable contribution to the development of Kazakh musical culture.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
I see that Italy has minted the long awaited 2 euro of Giseppi Verdi so I will be looking for that too. I am watching UNC.s on E-Bay but am wondering if there will be a PROOF mintage.

Long awaited? Giuseppe Verdi was born in October 1813, so the issue is somewhat early. ;D  And yes, I think that this one can be had in proof as well: http://www.ipzs.it/docs/public/brochure_2013.pdf (see p. 4). Whether the comment means that the proof piece will be part of the proof sets only, or whether it can be purchased separately, I don't know ...

Christian

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
Hello Pabitra and Christian.

Thanks for your information. Christian, I found the Verdi piece in Unc... but I think I would like the proof so I will check the site you kindly provided. Many thanks.

Pabitra, I think this is the first time that I already had a coin that you so kindly located. However, I really did not find much good information about the composer so your notes will be incorporated into my notebook with information on lesser known composers. So again, you have been very helpful.

Many thanks to you both!!! You guys are terrific!   Alan

Offline Alan Glasser

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
First, thanks to the very kind participants in this topic who have helped me locate several new issues this week. Your efforts are very much appreciated and all 3 are actively being sought.

I have 3 new additions to the "Music Coin" collection. Not all are composers but I don't think there is an "Opera House/Theater on Coins" or an "Opera Coins" topic. So, I'm listing them here. The Palau coin was not on my top acquisition list, but I put in a rather low offer and won the coin on e-Bay so I am pleased. The Cook Islands piece is rather "gimmicky"...questionable ...but it IS a "coin" and I do have a section devoted to opera houses in the collection so...I put a "Best Offer" for that one to and won the piece. I don't think that anyone in their right mind on the planet would bid...guess I was right.

So here they are:

1. Cook Islands 1 Dollar 2009,  KM-Unlisted, Semper Opera House. Both East and West Germany issued commemorative pieces for the Opera House, but unfortunately I have my coins in this topic listed by Country of the coin's origion so the Cook Island Piece will be away from its coin brothers. Thius one ultimately will come out of the plastic capsule as it is rather mangled on 1 side and just cloudy on the other.

2. Palau 5 Dollars 2011 KM-Unlisted, Honoring the opera, "Carmen" by Georges Bizet. Unfortunately, Bizet's name does not appear on the piece...a rather unforgivable oversight I would think. It will go into the "opera" subsection of  the section of my collection containing Opera references. I DID discover that in the "archway" behind the outstretched arm is a tiny representation of the score of the opera. It's too small to see well but does appear under magnification. I rather like that feature.

3. Hungary 25 Forint 1967 KM-577 featuring composer Zoltan Kodaly. I already own KM-578 with is the 50 Forint piece and I am watching for an affordable KM-579, the 100 Forint piece, both honoring Kodaly. KM 580 and 581, 500 and 1000 Forints are gold and will probably, sadly, never grace my collection.  :'(

Best wishes to everyone and thanks so much for all the fantastic help many of you are providing!!! Alan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
New composer coin from Russia

Alexander Sergeyevich Dargomyzhsky (Russian: Александр Сергеевич Даргомыжский) (February 14 [O.S. February 2] 1813 – January 17 [O.S. January 5] 1869) was a 19th-century Russian composer. He bridged the gap in Russian opera composition between Mikhail Glinka and the later generation of The Five and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
Dargomyzhsky was born in Troitsko village, Belyovsky District, Tula Governorate, and educated in Saint Petersburg. He was already known as a talented musical amateur when in 1833 he met Mikhail Glinka and was encouraged to devote himself to composition. His opera Esmeralda (libretto by composer, based on Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame) was composed in 1839 (performed 1847), and his Rusalka was performed in 1856; but he had little success or recognition either at home or abroad, except in Belgium, until the 1860s, when he became the elder statesman, but not a member, of The Five.
His last opera, The Stone Guest, is his most famous work, known as a pioneering effort in melodic recitative. With the orchestration and the end of the first scene left incomplete at his death, it was finished by César Cui and Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and was much prized by The Five for what was perceived as its progressive approach to operatic expression. It was premiered in 1872, but never became a lasting standard operatic repertoire item.
Dargomyzhsky also left some unfinished opera projects, among them an attempted setting of Pushkin's Poltava, from which a duet survives. Besides operas, his other compositions include numerous songs, piano pieces, and some orchestral works.
He died in Saint Petersburg in 1869, aged 55.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
On the birth bicentenary of Richard Wagner, Germany and Latvia have issued coins

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2013, 07:18:34 PM »
Guess you know (and have) this one anyway - GDR 1983:
https://philatelie.deutschepost.de/out/pictures/z1/016672_1_z1.jpg

And when it comes to this year's issues ... who cares about Germany and Latvia when Niue is in the Wagner boat too? ;D
http://www.ceskamincovna.cz/en/investment-gold-smart-coins-902/gold-half-ounce-coin-10-nzd-richard-wagner-proof-3919-p/

Christian

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »

Australia, on its part as a tribute to Richard Wagner, has issued a coin showing the ship " The Flying Dutchman"

A phantom ship believed to foreshadow disaster to superstitious sailors, the Flying Dutchman was immortalised by German composer Richard Wagner in the opera of its name, Der fliegende Holländer.

The coin's reverse portrays a representation of the vessel floating above a rough sea amid lightning.