Music: Composers on Coins

Started by Miguel.mateo, December 17, 2008, 05:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabitra

Sorry. The mistake in country was mine.

Alan Glasser

Hello, Pabitra. Absolutely no problem. If I had been paying attention, I would have discovered that the coin was from Kazakhstan. Anyway, I am grateful for your posting the photo and my new addition is on the way for inclusion in the Composer Coin set.  Again...thanks for posting the photo!!   Alan

Pabitra

OK.
Your interest is coins related to music or just composers?

If it is music, then perhaps 20 years of Orchestra by Poland would also meet the criteria.

If it only composers then perhaps this coin from Poland does not seem to find mention in this thread.

Also, you can wait for 2 Euros from Italy which commemorates 200th birth Anniversary. The coin is expected to be issued on 10th October, the day being celebrated.

Alan Glasser

Hello Pabitra, and once again, thank you very much for your very helpful information. I hope at some point I can return the courtesy.

I have the 2 Polish Coins, but very much appreciate the photos and descriptions. The coin with the "violin" commemorating 20 years of the National Orchestra (?) I had labeled as commemorating a festival of some sort. Obviously I do not speak Polish! I will make that correction as I had the coin filed under "instruments". Thank you for the correction.

I am very excited about the Verdi Coin and will eagerly await its minting. I do specialize in "composer coins" but in recent years, the "Music Coin Collection" has expanded to include: composers, conductors, musical instruments, theaters and opera houses, nationalism (national anthems, coins with military marches or national heros with musical activities or affiliations), famous musical performers, famous people in history who were affiliated with famous composers (patrons and the like) and other famous people with musical interests/connections...such as Einstein, Erasmus, Goethe..., miscellaneous (a rather vague category with pieces that don't fall into any other category such as Music Year...singing Festivals..Opera Characters...) and Authors/Poets whos works have been set to music by famous composers. I have pretty much abondoned the Poets/Authors category and the famous people with musical affiliations category.  I need to limit the scope of the collection a bit because it is getting quite difficult to stay current on all the categories.

Anyway, thanks you once again. Your help is very much appreciated.  Alan

chrisild

Quote from: alglasser on March 08, 2013, 04:29:37 PM
The coin with the "violin" commemorating 20 years of the National Orchestra (?) I had labeled as commemorating a festival of some sort.

We briefly discussed that in the "Musical instruments and orchestras on coins" topic. :)  Here is a brochure (English language version) about the coins: http://nbp.pl/banknoty_i_monety/monety_okolicznosciowe/2012/2012_01___20_lat_WOSP_en.pdf

Christian

Alan Glasser

...As a follow up to my thank you post to Pabitra, if anyone is interested in a listing of the coins in any of the categories of my "Music Coins" collection I listed in my previous post, I would be delighted to post them here. Just give me a hollar. I know that Music Coin collectors are "scarce as hen's teeth" but just the same...I'd love to share if there is any interest. (I'd love to know that I am not the ONLY Music Coin collector on the planet...it's lonely!!!) Please remember that no category is complete (or probably ever will be)...but I'm making a good effort.

All the best from snow buried Massachusetts in the U.S.A. 3rd day of a 3 day storm. Houses on the north coast are falling into the Atlantic. Very heartbreaking! We are far inland but I feel so badly for thise losing their homes to the storm and the Atlantic Ocean. Alan

Alan Glasser

Chrisild. WONDERFUL!!! Thank you for the pamphlet! The silver Orchestra piece is now on my list and I have to check to see if I have all the others...memory getting ancient!!!!   Alan

Pabitra

Quote from: alglasser on March 08, 2013, 04:29:37 PM

but in recent years, the "Music Coin Collection" has expanded to include: composers, conductors, musical instruments, theaters and opera houses, nationalism (national anthems,
  Alan

National Anthems.... Very interesting.
What are the coins under that list?
I am sure you must be having Tagore coins.
Rabindranath Tagore(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
He was the first Asian to win Nobel Prize (Literature -1913) as well as first non-European to win Nobel Prize in Literature. He holds the unique distinction of having composed or guided 2.5 ( two and a half)  National Anthems. His compositions have been chosen by two nations as national anthems: the India's Jana Gana Mana and Bangladesh's Amar Shonar Bangla. The composer of Sri Lanka's national anthem: Sri Lanka Matha, Egodahage George Wilfred Alwis Samarakoon (January 13, 1911 – April 5, 1962) (known as Ananda Samarakoon), was a student of Tagore, and the song is inspired by Tagore's style.

India and Bangladesh have issued coins to commem his 150th ann of birthday. I am still to know if he has been honoured on any other coin.

Alan Glasser

Hello, Pabitra.

Once again I send thanks for the information. I have attached below my list of "Nationalism" coins. Tagore is not listed as I have his India 5 Rupee coin of 2011 in the "Composer" section of the collection in his honor. Perhaps I should move the coin into the "Nationalism" category? Did he compose music other than the National Anthem? I thought he composed songs as well but I may be wrong. I also found a 150 Rupee coin from India honoring Tandore available from online sellers. I will pout that one o my list to save my money to buy. I looked to see if there was information about a coin in Tangore's honor from Bangladesh but I did not anything else other than your photo.  I will research online for further details. I also found no listing for Sri Lanka issing a coin in honor of Samarakoon but again, I will research further.

In the list below, please remember that many of the coins recognize military heros and topics that are related to national pride and national heros with some affiliation to music. Not all are composers of national anthems.

Many thanks for your post.   Alan  [color][size]

Music Coins, Nationalism and National Heroes

1. Australia $1. Banjo Paterson (Waltzing Matilda) KM-269a.1  1995  Proof  20,000      Cat. $75
2. Austria  25 Schilling  Prince Eugene Von Savoyen  KM-2893  1963  Unc.  1,994,000      Cat. $8
3. Austria  500 Schilling  Prince Eugene von Savoyen KM-2978  1986  Proof  99,600      Cat. $55.
4. Austria  10 Euro  Marx Augustin  (Plague Lgend)KM-3198  2011  Proof  __         Cat. __
5. Canada  $100 gold "Oh Canada" National Anthem  KM-131  1981  Proof  102,000                 Cat. .5002 oz.gold
6. China  1 Yuan  40th Anniversary republic  1989  KM-220  BU  2,000,000                                Cat. $4 (unc)
7. Czechoslovakia  10 Korun  Death of Jan Hus  (Church Music) 1965  KM-58  Proof  5,000   
                           (380 Unc/PR coins melted)                    Cat. $20
8. Czechoslovakia  100 Korun  Samo (Self) Chalupka  1983  KM-110  BU  76,000         Cat. $12. (unc)
9. France  1 ½ Euro  200 years Louisiana Purchase (Jazz Musician)  KM-1336  2003  Proof    10,000    Cat. $50
10. Greece  20 Drachmes  Dionysios Solomos (composed national anthem)  KM-154  1998  BU  __    Cat. $2.50
11. Greece  50 Drachmes  Dionysios Solomos (composed national anthem)  KM-172  1998  BU  __      Cat. $5.50
12. Liberia  $1  75th Anniversary U.S. National Anthem  KM-  2006  Proof  __ Unlisted                   Cat. __
13. Liberia $10  German National Anthem (Haydn) KM-__      Unlisted           Cat. __
14. Liberia  $10  Austrian National Anthem  (Mozart) KM-__      Unlisted           Cat. __   
15. Liberia  $10  Luxemburg National Anthem (Jean-Anton Ziennen) KM- __ Unlisted        Cat. __      
16. Liberia  $10  Italy National Anthem (Goffredo Mameli)  KM-__   Unlisted           Cat. __      
17. Liberia  $10  Denmark National Anthem (Hans Ernst Kroyer)  KM-__  Unlisted        Cat. __
18. Poland  10 Zlotych  Mazurka of Dabrowski  Y--318  1996  Proof  14,000           Cat. $50
19. Poland  10 Zlotych  95th Anniversary of First Cadre Company March Out  Y-691 2009
                            Proof  50,000                         Cat. $50.   
20. Ukraine  2 Hryvni  Pavlo Chubynsky  (text for Nat. Anthem)  KM-533 2009  Proof ? 35,000     Cat. $5.

Figleaf

The subject and title (but not the composer) of the Dutch national anthem is William of Nassau. He's on coins, though not on many.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Alan Glasser

Wonderful, Peter. Thank you. I have no idea where to start on locating a coin with William of Nassau. He would be a most interesting addition to the "Nationalism" category of the Music Collection. I have printed your page and will start hunting. Budget is rather low at the moment...but as of this morning thanks to you and Pabitra, I now have 3 "Nationalism" coins to hunt for. What fun.

Alan

chrisild

Quote from: alglasser on March 09, 2013, 04:55:32 PM
I have no idea where to start on locating a coin with William of Nassau.

This page http://www.knm.nl/50-Gulden-1984-Willem-van-Oranje-FDC/nl/product/7353/ may be a good starting point. ;)

Christian

Figleaf

Yes, that's a possibility and not too hard to find (try MA-shops). The royal way is to search for "prinsendaalder (MA-shops has several, should set you back around €500). The el-cheapo way is to look for an 1601 or 1602 oord from Zeeland province. Cheaper than the 50 gulden above (should be €20-40 for a nice specimen), but much harder to find. Beware of a similar type dated 1604-1669. That portrait is believed to be William's son, Maurice.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pabitra

Quote from: alglasser on March 09, 2013, 03:49:25 PM

Did he compose music other than the National Anthem? I thought he composed songs as well but I may be wrong.

I looked to see if there was information about a coin in Tangore's honor from Bangladesh but I did not anything else other than your photo. 

I also found no listing for Sri Lanka issing a coin in honor of Samarakoon but again, I will research further.

Rabindranath Tagore was one of the most prolific song composers.
He composed music for more than two thousand songs.
As a matter of fact, he created a new genre of music in his mother tongue, Bangla that goes by name of "Rabindra Sangeet".
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindra_Sangeet

Tagore coin of Bangladesh is listed as S#35 and KM#28, as per WMK. I do not know if SCWC 2013 has it since my copy is still with George Cuhaj.

Samarakoon was never honored by Srilanka, due to his anti-establishment nature.

Alan Glasser

Hello, Pabitra and Peter. Pabitra, thanks yet again for the information on Tangore. I will keep the 5 Rupee coin in the "Composer" section and will watch for a good price on the 150 Rupee piece.

Peter, I'll be on the look out for the William of Nassau addition. It will be (when I can afford a nice one) the oldest "composer coin" in the collection. An iteresting direction to persue. Now I do habe a Maria Theresa piece or 2 in there from Austria...but they are from the 1700's, 20 Kreutzer pieces I believe...but she is what I call "musically affiliated" so is not in the composer nor performer sub-categories. 

Best wishes all. Digging out from the huge snow storm.  Alan