Farrukhsiyar: Rupee, Mustaqir al-Khilafat Ajmer mint, RY Ahd / 1713 AD

Started by mitresh, February 09, 2014, 07:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitresh

Farrukhsiyar, Silver Rupee, Mustaqir al-khilafat Ajmer, RY Ahd / 1713 AD

The coin has lovely rainbow toning with a broad flan and is relatively well preserved with no test marks.

I don't know whether this mint or date combination is scarce or not but Zeno has only one coin from this mint dated RY 7 (the first coin on the Zeno page).

See the Wiki link here for more on Farrukhsiyar.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Coinsforever

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

mitresh

Figleaf

Now you've done it, Mitresh. Or rather your coin has done it. I have looked up Farrukhsiyar and the Sayyed brothers. A fascinating, but disgustingly cruel and violent era. The Mughal succession system (or rather, the lack of it) must have done untold damage. On the other hand, the European system, favouring the oldest son and causing war if "only" a woman could succeed brought some quite insane kings on the throne.

Nice, well centralised strike, wonderfully preserved.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Tariq

Quote from: mitresh on February 09, 2014, 07:07:20 AM
Farrukhsiyar, Silver Rupee, Mustaqir al-khilafat Ajmer, RY Ahd / 1713 AD

I don't know whether this mint or date combination is scarce or not

Nice coin, Ajmer is not very common mint, even in that the word Ajmer usually goes off the flan on yours its fairly visible.

mitresh

Thanks Peter / Tariq. It's actually sad to think how many King's met a violent end but I guess those were the turbulent times when an arm and leg was given (or chopped) to succeed on the throne.