Author Topic: Akbar, Dam. Mint: Anhilwara Patan. AH 985  (Read 3041 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Akbar, Dam. Mint: Anhilwara Patan. AH 985
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »
A coin I have coveted for long and lost 2 or 3 times in Auctions, this one fell into my lap when Abhishek helped me attribute it from amongst a lot of copper 'scrap' I had been offered. This is what I call luck.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Akbar, Dam. Mint: Anhilwara Patan. AH 985
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
Is it luck if you want to save poor, overlooked coppers from melting and are rewarded with a hard to find coin? Maybe. Congratulations on a good find and on the asm-Abhishek co-operation.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
A rare one for sure 8)  if I found that I would have though it was Ahmadabad because of the line of dots, I must look at all of mine (I have 80) as one may possibly be of this mint & gone unnoticed by me, first I need to know how the mint is written if someone can do an example  ;D
Vic

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
....... if I found that I would have though it was Ahmadabad because of the line of dots,....
I was going through the lot of 15 - 17 Kg of "Mughal" coins when I saw this Ahmedabad..........Dam looking funny.

.......  I must look at all of mine (I have 80) as one may possibly be of this mint & gone unnoticed by me, ....
I did exactly that a few months back ............. when there was a major discussion on the different types of Anhilwara Patan coins.... Unfortunately found just a single one that was not Ahmedabad but it turned out to be Khilafat Agra...........

.......  first I need to know how the mint is written if someone can do an example....
I'd be happy too......

Amit

Offline cmerc

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »
I can't seem to locate the date  ???  Is this a one-year type?  (Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't have any good Akbar references yet.)
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
I can't seem to locate the date 
In words, Nine below the divider and 8 & 5 above. Naushad wa Hashtad wa Panj.

Amit

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
Nice find after lot of hardships.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
I remember this one very clearly.. Amitji called one evening earlier this month (don't remember the date) and said I found a dotted border coin that looks a little different than Ahmedabad. I told just send me a pic by mail next day morning! I said had a look and exclaimed "Pattan". I called Amitji and informed him you have a jackpot.. It's anhirwala patan!! Great find Amit ji(asm)
Dr.Abhishek

Offline Abhay

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »
Good Find, Amit.

From where do you get Copper Scrap coins? I have yet to find any dealer selling copper coins as scrap.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
I've already burnt my fingers in coppers unlike vic & asm who are bit lucky to find few attractive , impressive & gems in lots.

Cheers ;D

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:51 AM »
From where do you get Copper Scrap coins? I have yet to find any dealer selling copper coins as scrap.
I used to pick up lots earlier.... but then, as it always happened, could not get anything worthwhile except a few coins that were missing in my collection. Then cam along a collector cum author cum trader who moves around on his bike through central India picking up coins from remote areas. He picks out the rare coins from there and sells them at exorbitant prices. His interests is only IPS coins and he has no knowledge on Mughal coins. When he needed money and space to get more material, recently, he decided to sell off what was - for him - useless material. He first offered me coins @ 12,000 - 16,000 Per Kg last year. Picked out a few. Then,  after a few exhibitions, he had some worn and poor condition coins which he wanted to dispose off. He offered me a lot - about 15+ Kg at 6000 - 8000. Picked up a few Mughal Dams of Surat, Khambayat etc from there. Then came this lot of almost 10 Kg which was fit for nothing. He offered me 4000 per Kg for the full lot, no choosing. I initially declined. He forced me to have a look at it once.......I took it up and told him, I could pick up a few pcs if he permitted but, for 20 / 30 pieces, could not pick up the lot. So he relented and we decided the price on per pc base - between 200 to 400 per pc. 80% of the lot can only be melted as both sides are fully worn............ So it was a boon for both. He made a good profit from scrap and I got a good lot at low prices including some few great coins.

But, I have sifted through almost 100 Kgs of junk to get about 3 or 4 Kgs of good coins. But, it has been worth the trouble.

Amit

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »

But, I have sifted through almost 100 Kgs of junk to get about 3 or 4 Kgs of good coins. But, it has been worth the trouble.

Amit

It shows your too much time devotion and extreme passion .

Happy hunting.

Cheers ;D

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
I have sifted through almost 100 Kgs of junk to get about 3 or 4 Kgs of good coins

Mind boggling, to say the least :o :o :o I don't have this kind of patience or inclination and hence end up paying way too far at Auctions or to dealers :'(
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
Digging up this old thread to illustrate the mint on coin.. Mint reads 'Naharwala Patan'
Dr.Abhishek

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
Digging up this old thread to illustrate the mint on coin.. Mint reads 'Naharwala Patan'

thanks for that, I will check mine but doubt very much I'll find one   :'(
Vic