Author Topic: Akbar. Dam, Mint: Dehli. Ilahi 35 with date in words.  (Read 910 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Akbar. Dam, Mint: Dehli. Ilahi 35 with date in words.
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »
This one seems to be a change over coin. The legend on the obvers is Zarb Dehli Falus (reading bottom to top). Reverse (Top to bottom) Ilahi 35 and below is parts of the date in words - Si Wa Panj. This was soon replaced by the month.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Akbar. Dam, Mint: Dehli. Ilahi 35 with date in words.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »
One more extraordinary coin ! Thank you , dear asm to show us such discovery...
Ilahi 35 seems to be the 1st date for Delhi; a similar coin dated Ilahi 35 with the date in word instead Ilahi month is shown by A.Liddle in the section "Ilahi datation" but without any comment (not noticed ?) : Plate XXX / C44

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Thank you saro for the words of encouragement. These coins till recently were all listed as standard Ilahi issues. It appears that due to the truncated legends, and the issues of reading the language the varieties did not come to light. With the use of computers, possible interaction on the net and the coming to gather of many experts on a single forum, it has now become increasingly frequent to see / discover new varieties.

A case in point is the coins of Chainpur (previously attributed as Ujjainpur as well as 4 other names). Just a point - Abhishek (abhinumis) recently published an article in the Pune Numismatic fair where he has listed 15 types of Dams for Agra mint. I have another variant (it was given by a friend who has asked me not to make the details public) not listed by Abhishek, making it 16 types for Agra. KM lists just a few. I do not have an idea of how many Liddle has listed but I am sure it would not be so many.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »
Here is the one from ebay India. The other one was what came from the earlier lot. This one after a bit of cleaning is in great shape.

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
Just uptill last year si wa panj type was known only for a damri.. But after a particular coin was displayed on a facebook forum, was this coin properly attributed. I also have a si wa panj type in my collection. The ebay one shows the complete legend..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
For me "si wa.."is clear and with the date 35 in digits,  nothing else than "panj" may fit, giving well : "si wa panj" ...

What about this one, on which for a long time I wasn't able to read a persian month :"...wa shash ??
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
Saro, The 6 is very clear so it could well be 36 or 46. However, 46 can be ruled out......... as the type then was greatly different. So it has to be 36.

Great coin. This is what internet and forums like WoC can do. One discovery lead to another.............