Author Topic: Jahangir: Rupee (4 coins), Ahmedabad, Inayat couplet, KM 149.4, Superb XF+  (Read 801 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Jahangir, Silver Rupee, Ahmedabad, 11.35g, AH 1030 RY 16 (retrograde 61), Inayat couplet, KM 149.4

Inayat / Enayat Couplet

sikka zad dar ahmadabad az enayate elah
shah nur al-din jahangir ibn akbar badshah

(Struck money at Ahmadabad, by the blessings of God;
Shah Nur al-Din Jahangir, son of Akbar Badshah)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:09:34 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
You posted so many excellent rupees lately it is hard to keep up. However, this one stands out, because of the flow marks, the lines radiating out from the centre to the edge. Flow marks are signs of a used die. At the moment a coin is struck, the top of the metal momentarily liquifies and flows from high pressure areas to low pressure areas. When the die is used, the repeated flows, always at the same spot, start digging canals in the dies when annealing has not yet been invented.

Flow marks are often present on good quality Roman coins. You don't see them so often on Indian coins. On this coin, they show that dies are not equal. One side has flow marks, the other side doesn't. That's because the upper die suffers more from wear than the lower die, so they wear out at different points in time.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Thanks for the info Peter, learnt something new.

Just now realized I never posted the below 'Inayat' coins from my collection that I had acquired before the one I posted today.

They are all different AH / RY date combinations. Enjoy !

Jahangir, Silver Rupee, Ahmedabad, AH 1028 RY 14

Jahangir, Silver Rupee, Ahmadabad, AH 1027 RY13

Jahangir, Silver Rupee, 11.36g, Ahmedabad mint, AH 1029, RY 14

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:27:00 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
That's a very luxurious set !

Anthony