Author Topic: Sher Shah Suri (AD1538-1545), Paisa, Mintless type, 950/1 AH? G/G D929; R1606  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Here is a mintless-type Paisa of Sher Shah Suri:

Obverse

Here is a crude illustration depictiong my take on the inscription. The red symbols are the ones I wasn't able to place.

Reverse

Yes, I do think there was a deliberate conspiracy to prevent me from reading the years on any of these coins  >:(. To even the scales, I take some time out to inscribe "OL" using a sharp knife on all modern coins I can get my hands on. With any luck, many centuries later people would be pondering over the "numismatic evidence" that seems to suggest that most of the world was conquered by a ruler named "Overlord", some time in the beginning of the 21st century  >:D!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:51:44 PM by capnbirdseye »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
If it is any comfort, I am thoroughly enjoying your helpful analysis of this and other coins. I hope you'll keep posting them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
I sure second that Overlord. 
richie

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
The reference is Goron/Goenka D929; R1606. The date is either AH950 or 951, difficult to judge from the scan.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Judging from Overlord's analysis, there are maybe two or three more characters to the right of the date, but they seem impossible to read to me ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.